Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Explain panhard bars please

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 06:34 PM

Explain panhard bars please

I will be buying one soon and I guess I really dont understand how they center the rear end if the bar above it isnt adjustable too? How will the rear shift from the driver to passenger side? It may sound like a dumb question but Im really not that mechanically inclined. Thanks for the answers
Old 05-21-2010, 06:57 PM

It can shift because of the bushings on your LCA's aren't able to hold the rear-end centered while cornering.

If you were to take out your panhard bar you would be able to push the back end of your car side to side yourself- now just imagine how much it could move when you are taking a corner at 60 mph.

The bar you see above it is simply a brace for the passenger side mounting bracket. Unless your car is lowered there isn't much need for an adjustable one IMO.

My question to you is- if you don't know what a panhard bar is or what it does, then why are you buying a new one?
Old 05-21-2010, 07:08 PM

I know what one is and what it does I just dont understand how it centered the rear if the bar above it doesnt move. My rear is not centered is why I am putting on an adjustable one. That way the rear doesnt look retarded as it does now being over about an inch to the drivers side.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:23 PM

Hmmm. Yet another off-centered fbody. Who would have thought.
I've seen quite a number, including my own which I drove off the lot in Feb. 97, but others claim it doesn't happen unless you are lowered. Hmmm.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:16 PM

Dont know if it has been lowered or not. I am not the first or even second owner lol
Old 05-21-2010, 11:04 PM

check out the rear springs and see what color they are. Usually lowering springs are a different color depending on the brand. This probably isn't true for all but it's a place to start.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Hmmm. Yet another off-centered fbody. Who would have thought.
I've seen quite a number, including my own which I drove off the lot in Feb. 97, but others claim it doesn't happen unless you are lowered. Hmmm.
Yeah I agree as I have yet to see a factory car that doesn't have a left side bias.

To answer the OP question to recenter the rear you need an adjustable bar. The idea is to shorten it from the stock length and therefore swinging the rear back to the right side of the car.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:07 AM

I made the mistake of buying a non-adjustable one and then when I got new wheels I replaced it with an adjustable one.

Don't even bother thinking, get an adjustable one, it's only 20$ or something more! Do your car's gemetry after and you're done!

I have a UMI on-car adjustable with 1 end roto-joint and 1 end poly. I can tell you the rear feels very stable when cornering!
Old 05-22-2010, 10:46 AM

Simple answer: it doesn't. The "adjustability" is the centering mechanism.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:56 PM

Springs are black. Not sure if that helps. Well at least they look black with some dirt on them making them a bit grey lol
Old 05-22-2010, 05:19 PM

Looks like stock springs judging the tag on them of TTH 22077420
Old 05-22-2010, 07:32 PM

What yall think about http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/5222/10002/-1 that panhard bar?
Old 05-22-2010, 08:15 PM

Stay far, far away from that bar. I have seen more than one of those bent right at the joint. Go with a UMI or BMR piece. I prefer the single adjustable with poly on the body end for quiet and rod end on the diff end for articulation. Double adjustables are nice, but hard to find in that configuration, and cost more. Singles require that you dismount one end to adjust, but you do not do it very often, so it is not a big deal.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:27 PM

From my experience, can't go wrong with UMI. They build them so nice, the moment you see something from them you know it's gonna last...
Old 05-23-2010, 07:34 AM

Is there anything wrong with the single on car adjustable ones? That way I dont have to take it off to adjust it?

Quick Reply: Explain panhard bars please