Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Fender Cutting Into tire!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 11:55 PM

Fender Cutting Into tire!!

So i've had this problem with my fender cutting into my tire on the rear passenger side while i drive.

I thought it was the shocks and i replaced them but i think its still doing it. Not 100% sure but i figured i'd post up and see what yall thought.

When i replaced the shocks the driver side shock wouldnt even spring back out!! but the Passenger side still had some spring left in it.

Now with both of the shocks replaced the driver side seats a little high and i can get about 4 finger inbetween the tire and the lip of the wheel well (was 3 before). The passenger side is about the same(3 sometimes 2 fingers).

Could the spring be bad? And even with jacking the car up by the axle the tire didnt come close to the lip... So what the hell gives? We try pressing down on it and it still comes no where close.

BTW its the TA in the sig. And it has 17x11's out back with 315's I haven't noticed this problem tell recently and was driving fine before and just suddently started happening.

Last edited by 97BBlackZ; 05-17-2006 at 12:02 AM.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:33 AM

Re: Fender Cutting Into tire!! WTF!

Do you have an adjustable panhard bar? If its only doing it on one side then maby your rear end isnt centered.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by gt_biker13
Do you have an adjustable panhard bar? If its only doing it on one side then maby your rear end isnt centered.

Yea i do. I'll give that a try. I think it started doing it after some dude hit me in the rear driver side.

Do i just jack the car up till the axle hangs then twist the bolt till it move the rear end?

Last edited by 97BBlackZ; 05-17-2006 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by 97BBlackZ
Do i just jack the car up till the axle hangs then twist the bolt till it move the rear end?
Pretty interesting questions?

Whats the proper way to adjust the panhard bar?
Old 05-17-2006, 03:02 PM

Re: Fender Cutting Into tire!!

i had the same problem with mine and mines missing the bumpstop on that side
Old 05-17-2006, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

When i replaced the shocks the driver side shock wouldnt even spring back out!! but the Passenger side still had some spring left in it.
Shocks, by themselves, are not supposed to spring back out. The spring does that, and that is a completely separate part.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Shocks, by themselves, are not supposed to spring back out. The spring does that, and that is a completely separate part.
Well its not really a spring back its more of when i push it down it STAYS there and doesnt slide back up like the new ones/old passenger side.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by guyette117
i had the same problem with mine and mines missing the bumpstop on that side
Did replacing the bumpstop solve this?
Old 05-17-2006, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Well its not really a spring back its more of when i push it down it STAYS there and doesnt slide back up like the new ones/old passenger side.
Yup, that's what it's supposed to do. As long as it comes up if you pull it up, the shock absorber is fine.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:28 PM

shocks and struts have a naturaly tendency to fully extend themselves, you shouldnt have to pull it up to bring it up
Old 05-17-2006, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by respectirocz
shocks and struts have a naturaly tendency to fully extend themselves, you shouldnt have to pull it up to bring it up
A strut is an assembly including a shock and a spring. As an assembly, yes, it should extend itself, but it's the spring doing the work, not the shock.

A shock absorber, by itself, will stay wherever you put it, and will resist (but not prevent) motion in any direction.

If your shock is going bad, it will have a reduced ability to resist motion. As a result, the car will bounce up and down over bumps, and it will continue to bounce after you are past the bump. With good shock absorbers, the up-and-down motion caused by a bump should only go through one cycle (up, and then back down to the natural ride height, or down, and then back up). If it cycles more than once, your shocks are worn out.

If your fender is cutting your tire, that means the car is too low, which probably means the spring is sagging. Get new springs.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:42 PM

A strut is an assembly including a shock and a spring. As an assembly, yes, it should extend itself, but it's the spring doing the work, not the shock.

A shock absorber, by itself, will stay wherever you put it, and will resist (but not prevent) motion in any direction.

If your shock is going bad, it will have a reduced ability to resist motion. As a result, the car will bounce up and down over bumps, and it will continue to bounce after you are past the bump. With good shock absorbers, the up-and-down motion caused by a bump should only go through one cycle (up, and then back down to the natural ride height, or down, and then back up). If it cycles more than once, your shocks are worn out.

If your fender is cutting your tire, that means the car is too low, which probably means the spring is sagging. Get new springs.
Alright im going to put springs on it today and see where that gets me. If that doesn't work... What else could it be?

Im also messing with the adj PHR but i'm not sure if i make it longer how that is going to effect which way it pulls the rear end.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:37 PM

You adjust the PHB when the suspension is under load, on the ground or jacked up by the rear axel. Making the rod longer will shift the rear axel to the drivers side.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:55 PM

I do not know about you. but every single time i put a gas shock on the rear of the car it wants to fully extend all by it's self.. every single last one of them..
Old 05-17-2006, 06:20 PM
Administrator

"Gas" shocks have enough pressure in them to push the shaft out, at least when they are new.

Quick Reply: Fender Cutting Into tire!!