Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

"Formula" for better handling in '97 Z ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 03:37 AM

"Formula" for better handling in '97 Z ?

So I recently got my first 4thgen z28(stock) , and it sure does not corner like my old Iroc did.

1st off was wondering why, what the difference is?

2nd, can you do some simple things to get the 4th gen handling really well? Whats a basic formula for great handling in these cars?

Would love to some day out corner and out accellerate my roomates G35 coupe! Right now he can corner waay better.

I already have diamond SFC on the list as well as a STB, I also plan on lowering it 1" even if only for appearance. What else?

Thanks.

Tim
Old 10-11-2004, 07:45 AM

Re: "Formula" for better handling in '97 Z ?

Originally Posted by Timmys88Z
So I recently got my first 4thgen z28(stock) , and it sure does not corner like my old Iroc did.

1st off was wondering why, what the difference is?

2nd, can you do some simple things to get the 4th gen handling really well? Whats a basic formula for great handling in these cars?

Would love to some day out corner and out accellerate my roomates G35 coupe! Right now he can corner waay better.

I already have diamond SFC on the list as well as a STB, I also plan on lowering it 1" even if only for appearance. What else?

Thanks.

Tim
Call Sam Strano and talk to him, he probably knows more about the F-body suspension than anyone else (stranoparts.com)
Old 10-11-2004, 11:10 AM

My friend also has a G35, so I might be able to help you out. I have Sway bar, SFC, LCA's, TA, 1LE shocks and springs. And I can keep up with him in the corners. Their suspension is just set up different. Lowering should help. If I were you I would but a huge sway bar up front, and maybe one in the back.

On a side note. They are supose to have 280 HP, took his to the dyno, he put down 210!! and he has an M6!!!!!!!! The only reason they are so fast is because they are geared like a 4 cylinder. A six speed that is at 3k on the interstate is retarded.

EDIT: If you want some traction, then you can do LCA's, then a TA. If you had gears you could probably out run him.

Last edited by Red96Lt1; 10-11-2004 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:46 AM

um....anyone else?
Old 10-13-2004, 07:36 AM

Well the one reason it don't handle as good, becuase its set up different to ride better.

IROC has bigger front sway bars depends what year up to a 36mm hollow. And the wondor bar.

You need 2 things on your fbodies good shocks, say bilstein HD"s (at the least) or I would go with revalves with a good front BAR, a 35MM soild IHM or hollow from Sam Strano. With these two it will help your car out a good bit and it should be much better.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:47 PM

Hmm... that makes sense. I think what I notice about the '97 is that when you try to corner hard at all you really feel the body roll to one side and it feels real loose....like a big boat of a car.

Cool, anyone else?

What about really going out and doing the whole suspension? What does it take to really make the car handle great?
Old 10-13-2004, 04:33 PM

I 2nd that..

What I got was bilstiens HD revalved by Sam, 35 mm solid front sway bar, and a T2R diff. Basically close to a F-stock setup. I didn't want to spend too much cash, stray too far from stock design, have to worry about maintence, and keep a comfortable ride. what a difference. especially since my stock shocks were already dead at about 40k miles.

Oviously if you want to go further, or have different goals, he can help you out too.

BTW the t2r is pricey, but it is definantly worth it..

Originally Posted by Camaro_Maniac63
Call Sam Strano and talk to him, he probably knows more about the F-body suspension than anyone else (stranoparts.com)
Old 10-14-2004, 07:04 AM

"you could go all out", but really you don't need, your not doing road racing every week. Sam uses his stock LCA"s and stuff like that. The back sway-bar really don't need to be messed with. LCA's can help on the strip, but peaple say the poly binds up and don't use it for RR or autoX. The panhard, bar is not realy needed unless you lower it. You can lower it but I really don't see a need too, if you get the proper shocks. I would say besides the shocks and front bar, you need the tires and wheels and you would be happy. Get some 17x9.5(Beefy) with 285 all around. Great combo and you can still rotate all 4 tires when you need too, get some good rubber, tires is one of the biggest things you can do for any car, get some good AA A rated tires. And I might get a 89.00 dollar Strut Tower brace, there cheap and they work. If you had any more money I would go subframes to make it :tight: hope that helps you
Old 10-14-2004, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Coolformula
"you could go all out", but really you don't need, your not doing road racing every week. Sam uses his stock LCA"s and stuff like that. The back sway-bar really don't need to be messed with. LCA's can help on the strip, but peaple say the poly binds up and don't use it for RR or autoX. The panhard, bar is not realy needed unless you lower it. You can lower it but I really don't see a need too, if you get the proper shocks. I would say besides the shocks and front bar, you need the tires and wheels and you would be happy. Get some 17x9.5(Beefy) with 285 all around. Great combo and you can still rotate all 4 tires when you need too, get some good rubber, tires is one of the biggest things you can do for any car, get some good AA A rated tires. And I might get a 89.00 dollar Strut Tower brace, there cheap and they work. If you had any more money I would go subframes to make it :tight: hope that helps you
I agree with a lot of that.

I also looked at handling first, since our cars already enough power stock, the handling is what needed attention first. Then I went to modding the engine.

My first mod was sub frame connectors, to keep everything nice and tight.
Then I put Bilstein HD's on all four corner. Not revalved.
Then came the 35mm solid front sway bar.
Then came the 17x9" stock SS rims with Goodyear F1 GS-D3's (275/40-17)

Those four mods made HUGE, HUGE difference in handling. Minimal body roll, great shock/spring control, and awesome grip from the tires/wheels. The sub frame connectors are necessary to keep the car tight now that you will be stiffening up the ride

Lowering springs would help even more, but I didn't want the ride to get too harsh. The very stiff front sway bar gives a lot of the same benefits of stiffer lowering springs without making the ride harsh.

Dan