Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Front brakes locked up

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 02:42 AM

Front brakes locked up

I recently put in a SJM abs delete and line lock kit in my car. It all worked out fine and the brakes have been working fine. I had some problems at first with the right front brake hose and a bad flare i made was all that went wrong. I bled them all correct and it has been braking perfect. Only thing i didnt do was wire up the line lock. I was thinking it would still operate normal just not have its capabilities to lock the front brakes. I had no problems until the other day.

I was driving and the brakes seemed to be softer and i slammed on them once on the street and they like locked up for a second and then went unlocked a few seconds later. After that they seemed fine for a few days and the fluid was full. Then like a few days later i went to work and the pedal seemed soft again and when i left work i had no pedal pressure at all. The master cylinder was just about empty. I didnt notice any fluid leaks but it was wet out a little and dark and i couldnt tell. I filled the fluid up as soon as i could and then it started to build pressure again and they were working fine until tonight. I parked my car for about 1/2 hour and when I started it back up it locked up on me all of a sudden? I would just do a burn out if i tried to go. It seemed like for a second it was loosening up but it wouldnt stay unlocked. I know this is a long confusing post but if anyone has any ideas of what it could be or anything please let me know.

I was thinking the line lock assembly was acting up but i have no idea why that could be? but my first idea was to try and remove it and splice in a new brake line in place of it and see if it works then. Not sure if thats a good idea or not but i have no idea what else could be causing this???
Old 05-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Re: Front brakes locked up

Sounds like you may have a short in the wiring to the line lock solenoid, causing it to stay active.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:01 PM

yes but the line lock isn't wired up. but an update on the problem. today i went back to work on the car and i started it up and the brakes weren't locked any more??.. I drove it home just fine. But i noticed there was fluid leaking from under the line lock.. the fitting seems tight. but im wondering if its the exit brass fitting from the line lock itself that is leaking. Not sure. But i was just going to take the line lock out and replace it with a piece of brake line instead. At least for now because i actually dont NEED the line lock and don't want to have this problem again. I talked to the guy from SJM and he said it may just be a bad unit and i can have it replaced but i just want to make sure this is my problem. Is there any other things it could be? this is weird
Old 05-18-2011, 03:39 AM

it could be a bad rubber hose going to the caliper, although i would think your problem would be less intermittent if it was. the hose could fail internally. the inner wall of the hose will breakdown over time. a piece of rubber could act like a valve itself and allow fluid pressure to flow to the caliper but not release. if you can get them to lock up, try to manually return the caliper with a screwdriver or pry bar. if it doesn't loosen up, crack the bleeder and then it should. if it still doesn't let loose with the bleeder loosened up, the caliper is going bad. just a thought.