Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

front spring and shock install im stuck i need helllpppp!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 12:26 AM

Question front spring and shock install im stuck i need helllpppp!

hey whats up everybody ...heres my situation im trying to install my kyb agx shocks and eibach sportlines. ok my progress so far is i undid the four bolts under the hood and the two on the bottom of the strut and hammered out the old strut and springs..then i i got the new springs compressed onto the new strut now i cant get it back in is there anything to unbolt so the lower a arm can move free so i can just pop everything in???what am i suppose to do....tommorow morning imma wake up and hopefully knock this mission out...ive been doing searches on here but didnt come up with much...but thank you guys for taking the time to ckeck out my post...
Old 02-22-2005, 10:24 AM

Re: front spring and shock install im stuck i need helllpppp!

I assume that you have the one of the ball joints popped loose from the steering knuckle.

If you do, then the only thing that will keep the lower arm from moving easily is the front sway bar end link.

Take that off.

Z28
Old 02-22-2005, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by SiDeWaYZz28
.... ok my progress so far is i undid the four bolts under the hood and the two on the bottom of the strut and hammered out the old strut and springs.....
Not the best way to do it. As noted above, the easiest way to just "lift" the spring/shock assembly out of the front suspension is to loosen the end link on the sway bar, and pop one of the ball joints.... top is easier because it will sometimes fall apart with a couple light hammer taps on the side, while the lower one always seems to require a pickle fork and possible damage to the boot. I've heard of people strong-arming the assembly out without loosening the end link or popping a ball joint, so it can be done.

Before you disassembled the old spring/shock assembly, did you carefull mark the orientation of the top spring seat to the bracket that bolts the shock to the lower a-arm? If the spring/shock is not reassembled with the correct orientation, it isn't going to go back in.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:22 PM

i unconnected the sway bar and im trying to pop off the balljoint...but it seems like it foesnt want to budge...hhow can i get it off???thank you guys for the help
Old 02-22-2005, 09:08 PM

I did it by getting my floor jack and a properly cut 4x4 and lifting the A arm off. But it was a pain in the royal @$$. Spend the $12 on a pickle fork. I finally had to when I did my LS1 brake conversion. Well worth the money. Just be carefull of the boots when you are hammering it in. Pretty easy to tear them up.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:22 AM

yea i just spent a few hours trying to get them damm spindle disconnected....so first thing in the morning im going to autozone to rent a pickle fork..damm this project has been taking more effort then i thought it would...plus it sucks wrenching on my car all bymyself...but thanks for the help guys
Old 02-23-2005, 02:04 PM

I used a two jaw puller to separate the ball joints from the spindle. You're less likely to tear up the boots that way, but if you're careful, a pickle fork will work just fine.

I can't imagine trying to attempt that with the spindle still attached to the control arms. Lining everything up correctly is very important, that was the hardest part for me, and I had some help. Doing it alone will require some definite creativity. Good luck
Old 02-23-2005, 02:29 PM

yea i rented a fork and still cant the damm thing popped off...im trying to get someone over here to help but everybody i know cant help me...i think im going to have to go to auto zone and return this fork and try that toll you used
Old 02-23-2005, 11:38 PM

http://www.yearone.com/enthusiast/ar...ing%20swap.htm

Does this help?
Old 02-24-2005, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Shempy

Does it ever!! thanks, I'm impressed with the step by step photos. Nice site. I jumped the gun and put my Koni's and Prokit in my sig while they lay on my garage floor itching to be installed.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:09 AM

yea i finish my istall today plus got my brand new 18x9.5 c6 rims mounted it lookms mean
Old 03-01-2005, 01:05 PM

I have a stupid question, do we nned a bump steer kit or anything if we lower the car?