Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Front subframe rail straightening?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 04:57 PM

Front subframe rail straightening?

Now I get to make myself look like the ignoramous I was in former years...

I have a '93 Z28. When I first got it I didn't know where to jack it up at. I followed the directions on the fender that says not to jack on the pinch weld, and didn't even try it on the plastic block. So I jacked on the sub frame rail. Now after lots and lots of jackings I have realized the error in my ways, and use those nice jacking blocks to lift the car. The problem is, now my front subframe rails are bent inward. Just on the bottom face... the sides of the subframe is NOT damaged. Is there a way to fix this myself? What kind of tools will I need? Should I quit my ignorant ways and take it to a body shop?
Also, is it possible to remove welded in SFC's? I'm not going to right now, but if they creat a problem later...

Thanks for the help. I've learned alot from the car, and it has the scars to prove it.

Last edited by KyleMailman; 09-07-2004 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:27 AM

Re: Front subframe rail straightening?

If all you did is slightly mushroom the bottom of the frame rail, don't worry about it. Any reduction in strength is minimal if al all.