Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Front Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 07:30 AM

Front Suspension Question

To you F-body suspension experts, I have some questions regarding the early 4th gen front suspension. First off...I presume that front control arms are the same as front "A" arms...it seems to me that there must be 2 different schools of thought on naming conventions...correct? Secondly, I've been experiencing a "jarring" from the front end when running on rough pavement or rough roads...so I took it to a local repair shop, and they are telling me that the bushings are shot in the front end "lower" control arms, and that I will need to replace the control arms because if they attempt to replace just the bushings...the control arm will be damaged beyond repair. If this is the case...then why are there so many sites selling just "Bushing Kits" for these cars? Thirdly...if I go the route of swapping out the lower control arms, I might as well swap out the front upper control arms too. Since the front end job with control arms is quite abit more involved than the rear, I might as well replace the rest of the hardware in the immediate area too (U/L Ball joints, bushings, etc.) What is the recommendtion on bushing compound...rubber or polyurethane or other?. Without breaking the bank...which control arm maker would you guys/gals go with...I prefer not to go with OEM?

Sorry for being so long-winded, and thanks for any and all recommendations,

Rick
Old 10-28-2011, 07:35 AM

Re: Front Suspension Question

First and last find a new shop. They are making a small job into a money pit. when you may just need new shocks.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:38 AM

The struts appear to be just fine...at least when I push down hard on the front end, it only bounces about 1 to 1.5 times...which they thought was normal too. I wish there was an easy way to diagnose whether it is bushings, struts, or springs. Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 10-28-2011, 09:05 AM

You can check ball joints and tie rod ends with a large set of channel locks, raise the vehicle so no load on suspension, use the channel locks to compress the ball joints and look or feel for movement. Bad springs would be uneven or out of spec ride height; though inspect the upper spring mount and see if it has failed; it is rubber and they can go south. Also check wheel bearing; again raise vehicle, no load on suspension, and manually turn the car using the rotor and look/feel for play there as well.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:04 AM

Good Struts and shock should not bounce at all. If they are the orignal ones time for replacement.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Administrator

You have an "unequal upper/lower A-arm" front suspension. All the bushings are fully replaceable. I've done the complete front end in my 94. Messy, but did not destroy anything. Old bushings melted out with a propane torch. New ES poly bushings slid right in, with copious amounts of the correct poly grease.

The front has a "coil-over" spring/shock assembly. They are not "struts".

One thing to look at, and it's not easy to do. If you don't find anything else that's causing the "jarring", check the upper spring/shock mounts. The upper shock shaft mounts through a ferrule that is "floating" in the rubber that surrounds the entire mount. With old age, the rubber can crack, and the upper shock portion tears loose.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:32 AM

Thanks Injuneer and others for the info and suggestions related to my issue. This car is my weekend toy...so to speak...and with Winter just around the corner...I might as well put her up on jack stands and take my time and do the work myself. As for front end poly bushings and replacement kits...are they all pretty much the same? Any suggestions on a brand or kit that I should purchase?
Old 10-31-2011, 05:11 PM
Administrator

I have the ES poly upper and lower A-arm bushings. The advantage of the ES parts is the revision to the vertical lower control arm bushing to a "spherical" design, that eliminates the "bind" that is possible with the excessive stiffness of the poly bushings.