Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

G2 Z06 Brake Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 09:39 PM

G2 Z06 Brake Conversion

I noticed the lmperformance.com sells a kit for converting to the z06 style brakes. Are there any issues with it, the cost doesn't seem to be too bad. Would there be anything else I would need with that kit? Here is what they list

G2 12.8'' ZO6 GStop Brake Conv. Kit - Drilled and Slotted Rotors

* G2 GStop 12.8" diameter Drilled and Slotted Brake Rotors GStop Brake Upgrade Kit
* Includes Bracket, ZO6 Red Cailper, Pads, and Front Rotors.
* These heavy duty rotors are Zinc washed, drilled & slotted.
* Slotted rotors vent the gases from the pads for improved stopping power and reduced brake fade.
* Fits most 17 inch Rims
* Works best with Carbon Metallic Pads like Hawk or PFC.
* Kit includes Front Rotors only and we recommend Powerstop rotors for the rear.

For a cost of $900, which is more than when using the bob bishop brackets but it seems they are hard to come across.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:59 AM

Re: G2 Z06 Brake Conversion

I was looking at that too. I have one nice z-body enthusiast in another thread willing to sell me his but for $600 more I could get this kit instead, does anyone have some feedback?
Old 03-04-2005, 08:06 AM

That's not a bad price. My entire C5 conversion ran me about $840 shipped, including stainless brake lines. My stainless lines were $80, so to compare to the G2, that's about $760. Now that I have the C5 brakes, and know how great they are, I would spend the $900 for the G2 kit assuming that it comes with decent pads.

You might want to check if that G2 kit will work on LT1 cars, or is it just for LS1's.

Dan
Old 03-04-2005, 12:38 PM

I sent an email of to LMperformance to see if anything else is needed for my 97. My only question is the quality of the bracket, has anybody used this kit?
Old 03-04-2005, 02:04 PM

I don't understand why they don't offer an option for just a regular blank rotor. Looks like a pretty good setup. I'm pretty sure you need the LS1 steering knuckles for the bracket to work properly. I remember seeing that on LG Motorsports' webpage.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Black_Z28
...I'm pretty sure you need the LS1 steering knuckles for the bracket to work properly.
That is correct. The LG bracket attaches to the LS1 steering knuckle only. There is no place on an LT1 steering knuckle to attach the LG bracket.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:38 PM

So what is my best option for a good set of front brakes that will see limited road course time? Is it a pain to switch to the 98+ spindles?
Old 03-04-2005, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Clean97Z
So what is my best option for a good set of front brakes that will see limited road course time? Is it a pain to switch to the 98+ spindles?
You might consider posting your interest here:
http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=3844&

Changing steering knuckles is not fun or cheap. You can damage your ball joints when pressing them out and have another unexpected expense. New LS1 steering knuckles are expensive. If you get used ones from a wrecking yard (I did) they can be bent (mine were; they lied to me) and you may not find out until you have finished everything and are trying to get your front end aligned, which is necessary after changing steering knuckles. Then you have to start all over getting another set of knuckles, disassembling, pressing out ball joints again, removing the brakes, reinstalling the brakes, bleeding, back to the shop for another alignment, etc. Others have posted about getting bent knuckles when trying to do a swap to LS1’s.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by lateapex
You might consider posting your interest here:
http://frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=3844&

Changing steering knuckles is not fun or cheap. You can damage your ball joints when pressing them out and have another unexpected expense. New LS1 steering knuckles are expensive. If you get used ones from a wrecking yard (I did) they can be bent (mine were; they lied to me) and you may not find out until you have finished everything and are trying to get your front end aligned, which is necessary after changing steering knuckles. Then you have to start all over getting another set of knuckles, disassembling, pressing out ball joints again, removing the brakes, reinstalling the brakes, bleeding, back to the shop for another alignment, etc. Others have posted about getting bent knuckles when trying to do a swap to LS1’s.
I was looking for this same set up now and doing some research on it. Upon my rerearch I found that UMI Performance is making or now has these brackets in stock and being ready to be put on the market very soon from what I was told. I also heard Speed Specialty ( a sponosr here) is dealing with UMI and will have these available for sale. I will post more info as I can find it, but I am pretty sure they fit LT1 and LS1 models
Old 03-30-2005, 10:29 AM

UMI has them ready. $239, and will work on LT1 or LS1. Now you will have more options on rotors, calipers, and pads instead of the G2 kit.