Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Getting new shocks. What else should i replace?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 07:04 AM

Getting new shocks. What else should i replace?

I live on a dirt road, fiew miles of it every day. I believe my shocks are toast (i think stock too) as i bounce all over the place and everything rattles in the car. And i think i hear one make some horrid noise when going over some bumps. im getting the kyb gas-a-just`s all the way around. (do i need any other stuff for these, or they a direct bolt on replacement?)
What else should i look for under there so i know what to replace? Please be kinda specific because i have never done suspention work, all "under the hood" work and brakes/rotors :P
the bumps will not be good for my son when hes born next month, thats why im doing this.
I could throw it up on a ramp and take some pics, would that help?
94 Z28
like 150000 miles i believe, still racin like a champ

Last edited by ussj4brolli; 05-25-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Before you pull anything apart, check the front end for wear on the tie rod ends and ball joints. Check for looseness in the wheel bearings. When you pull things apart, look for signs of badly worn, cracked or deformed upper and lower a-arm bushings. Anything you find worn badly needs to be replaced while you have it apart. Also consider replacing the upper spring/shock seats. They either crack, allowing the ferrule for the upper shock shaft mount to move around, or the shock shaft is rusted fast to the ferrule and you end up having to cut the shock shaft to get everything apart. I would just get new upper seats before you start. Also check your sway bar bushings and end-link bushings, front and rear.

The back end has less to check and replace. The upper spring seat rubber inserts don't usually wear out, and there are no lower spring seat inserts.

From Shoebox:

http://shbox.com/1/front_suspension.jpg
Old 05-25-2009, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Before you pull anything apart, check the front end for wear on the tie rod ends and ball joints. Check for looseness in the wheel bearings. When you pull things apart, look for signs of badly worn, cracked or deformed upper and lower a-arm bushings. Anything you find worn badly needs to be replaced while you have it apart. Also consider replacing the upper spring/shock seats. They either crack, allowing the ferrule for the upper shock shaft mount to move around, or the shock shaft is rusted fast to the ferrule and you end up having to cut the shock shaft to get everything apart. I would just get new upper seats before you start. Also check your sway bar bushings and end-link bushings, front and rear.

The back end has less to check and replace. The upper spring seat rubber inserts don't usually wear out, and there are no lower spring seat inserts.

From Shoebox:

http://shbox.com/1/front_suspension.jpg
do u have a guide as to what number is what?
Old 05-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Administrator

You need to find someone with a factory shop manual for a complete list. But if you have a specific question about some of the parts, I can identify most of them for you.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
You need to find someone with a factory shop manual for a complete list. But if you have a specific question about some of the parts, I can identify most of them for you.
Ok so i checked everything i can see so far, and on the front end, the tires do not move up and down. on the front driver, when moving the tire left and right, i can see number 9&55 in your picture, move (8&11 move because of it), so what would that be? on the passenger it moves left and right making a noise, not so much as a loud clunk, but small one. Tie rods or ends? What part # would i be lookign for on this? Thanks!!!

Last edited by ussj4brolli; 05-27-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:01 AM

My $0.02....Be prepared to deal with some rust when trying to remove the upper front shock nuts from the top of the sping seat....make sure you are using a quality spring compressor before you try to remove this. This is what my upper shock nut looked like when I changed mine a few years ago...