Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Getting rid of wheel hop?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:53 AM

Getting rid of wheel hop?

I'm havind issues with wheel hop, what would you recammend for a cure? It already has a torque arm & tubular lower control arms, but there non-adjustable.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2008, 10:26 AM

LCA relocation brackets. I need to pick up some as I get pretty bad wheel hop as well.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by unvc92camarors
LCA relocation brackets. I need to pick up some as I get pretty bad wheel hop as well.
BMR is running a sale on them till monday 79.99 bolt-in

Last edited by LJM97Z; 04-01-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:11 PM

any parts company has them. any of the site sponsors on this site that do anything with suspension will offer them
Old 04-01-2008, 01:13 PM

umi sells them do you have a 12bolt or 9" rear or a stock 10bolt? and i think bmr sells them too

i put the weld on ones from umi (b/c i have a 12bolt) put it at the lowest setting and wow that mo fo just plants down and goes!!!
Old 04-02-2008, 09:35 PM

you probably have them set at a negitive pinion angle, which will make the tires "bite" much better. However, that setting isnt the best for handling so beware of its adverse effects.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Administrator

LCA relo brackets will not affect the pinion angle.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I agree. I'm starting to think its more in the shocks then anything.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:24 PM

what kind of shocks are you running? i have stock springs and shocks (150k miles) after i put on lca brackets in it was a world of a diffrence, what is your pinion angle set at? i can just about get 1 tire up on the street and bite hard with the m/t drag radials in my car, before relocation brackets i was spinning through 2nd gear
Old 04-03-2008, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by red 95 z28 lt1
what kind of shocks are you running? i have stock springs and shocks (150k miles) after i put on lca brackets in it was a world of a diffrence, what is your pinion angle set at? i can just about get 1 tire up on the street and bite hard with the m/t drag radials in my car, before relocation brackets i was spinning through 2nd gear
The shocks are KYB Gas adjust, i'm running some Cooper high speeds on 17" wheels (came with the car), but i'll be going to 275/50/15 MT Radials soon, i'll most likely do both the shocks & LCA relocators, i need to check pinion angle too.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:28 PM

first of all thats ur problem.... ur tires man!!! keep the shocks for now and put in lca's, set them to the lowest setting. put pinion angle at -2* and get them m/t drag radials (god i feel bad for your rear if its a 10bolt)
Old 04-03-2008, 08:39 PM

The shocks and relocation brackets will not affect your pinion angle. Changing your ride height or putting an adjustable torque arm on is about the only way that it will change.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure that I am right on this one.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Already answered:
Originally Posted by Injuneer
Originally Posted by rexcellent
The shocks and relocation brackets will not affect your pinion angle. Changing your ride height or putting an adjustable torque arm on is about the only way that it will change.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure that I am right on this one.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by slomarao
you probably have them set at a negitive pinion angle, which will make the tires "bite" much better. However, that setting isnt the best for handling so beware of its adverse effects.
Just to clarify something here:

While it was pointed out that the LCA's / brackets don't affect the pinion angle, you are correct about the adverse effects of running the LCA's in the lower / lowest position on the relocation brackets.

What this affects is the squat (or anti-squat?! ) of the differential. (sorry, I'm not well-read enough to be fully up-to-speed on the terminology!! ). What you GAIN in FORWARD traction ability by dropping the rear of the LCA, you LOSE in braking traction/stability. It can also lead to some pretty significant wheel hop under braking (which really, really sucks, if you've never experienced it before ).

Another effect of dropping the rear of the LCA's is something called "roll-steer" (again, I may be slightly off on this term?! ) but what happens is due to the angles of the LCA's, when you are going into/through a turn, as the body of the car rolls, it changes the geometry of the LCA's to the axle in such a way that it actually "turns" the rear axle in relation to the car, and can induce a sudden over-steer condition.

Chances are that for average street driving, it's something you may never notice or suffer. However, apparently this negative effect can rear its ugly head if you attempt to drive your car to its limits, ie: on a race track.

For straight line purposes though, the LCA drop brackets are supposed to be effective. Just be mindful of the other conditions which they can cause, and if you care about your car's handling, it can/will hurt it .
Old 04-03-2008, 11:32 PM

yes i know that lca's cant affect pinion angle/ or adjust pinion angle.

sorry but i did not read his original post correctly and i thought he had an adjustable torque arm, did not mean to confuse others. sorry again

Quick Reply: Getting rid of wheel hop?