Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Give me a lesson on adj. tq arms and panhard rods... need to know

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 09:54 PM

Give me a lesson on adj. tq arms and panhard rods... need to know

Well I just ordered my adj. tq arm and panhard rod.. BMR... and I havent gotten it in yet, but i am curious how to adjust them and to what degree and stuff... also how do you tell the degrees?
Old 06-10-2004, 11:41 PM

BMR has installation instructions on their website that include how to set the pinion angle.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/instructions/ta001.htm
Old 06-11-2004, 08:22 AM

Panhard rod is just adjusted to center the axle in the car. Follow BMR's instructions on setting pinion angle and you'll be fine on that. Just make sure you take measurements off the pinion, not the driveshaft.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:35 AM

BMR's instructions on adjusting pinion angle have been wrong since he put them up, which might be one reason we keep getting questions. I have a page at http://www.go-fast.org/z28/pinionangle.html that's correct.

Dave
Old 06-11-2004, 10:24 AM

How is BMR's wrong?

From go-fast.org...
Put angle finder on driveshaft, lining it up along the very bottom. Read angle = DS°
Put angle finder along flat bracket along bottom of TA. Read angle = PA°
Calculate TPA° = DS°-PA°

This value, TPA° is your pinion angle. It doesn't really matter what the actual value of DS° or TA° is, because they're dependent on the angle your car is currently jacked up to (or the angle of your floor or lift). The difference between them is the critical number. Crank the adjuster to shorten or lengthen the lower portion of the arm, to set the angle to whatever value you want to use, then tighten down the jam nuts and the two through the rod ends.
From BMR...
-Place angle finder on the driveshaft and record the angle. Now place the angle finder on the rear end torque arm mounting plate and record the angle.

- Subtracting one angle from the other results in your pinion angle.(Ex: -2 rear end angle subtracted from 0 driveshaft angle = -2 degrees)

- Turn adjuster to achieve the desired angle.
Their description of how to subtract the values is a little confusing though. Pinion angle = DS angle - Rear end angle.

Disregard what I babbled about pinion and driveshaft measuring...I'm a tard.

Last edited by mongse_1; 06-11-2004 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:33 AM

Well he doesn't say what side of the car he's looking at when he measures these angles, so that's a 50/50 chance of guessing wrong, and then he states that -2 subtracted from zero = -2, which is wrong. Basically you could get it right or wrong from his instructions, there's just not enough information there.

Dave
Old 06-11-2004, 10:39 AM

Yeah, I see what you mean...I was in the middle of editing my above post too.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by mongse_1
I was in the middle of editing my above post too.
That's the beauty of this MB sending mail - when you get someone's reply, it's pretty much instantaneous - no chance to correct anything! I don't know the number of times I've thought "oh crap, I really need to change that post fast!"

Dave
Old 06-11-2004, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by LPEdave
That's the beauty of this MB sending mail - when you get someone's reply, it's pretty much instantaneous - no chance to correct anything! I don't know the number of times I've thought "oh crap, I really need to change that post fast!"

Dave
I get that a lot between 7am & 9am when I take my first trip to the coffee machine.