Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Going to be doing a 98+ brake swap.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 04:08 PM

Going to be doing a 98+ brake swap.

Like the title states I will be doing the brake conversion for the fronts. I have been doing alot of searching and needed some help on a few different things. The swap I bought includes used rotors and pads, but I will be purchasing new ones before I install them on the car.

My searches have deterred me from X-drilled rotors. I would like some slotted ones for an upgraded look. I understand they won't be better performance wise. Could you guys point me in the direction on where to get some good ones (I don't need the very best but I don't want crap either). I would need 98+ for the front and 93-97 for the rears.

As far as pads go, I hear alot about Hawk pads. I think the HPS seem to be the most preferred. I would also like an idea on the best place to buy those.

I have also read in some threads that upgrading the brake booster or master cylinder is also needed. Do I need to upgrade any of these parts as well?

Lastly, I have read that there are some slight issues when it comes to brake lines when doing the swap. Are the C5 lines the best route to take to avoid these issues? Does anyone have a part number for these or do I just call up and ask for C5 front brake lines? A rough idea on price would help as well.

Thanks.

Last edited by EnFuegoZ28; 03-11-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:09 PM

I can help a little. I have Z06 brakes which is similar.
Powerslot rotors seem reasonably priced - you might look at those. I used Baers which were expensive, they are cross drilled and slotted and havent cracked, but I dont track the car. I use the HPS pads you mentioned, which stop well on the street and drag strop (from 127 mph) and there's no dust or bad wear to the rotors. I used C5 brake lines #22163727 in the front which are 1" longer but bolt right up with minor grinding of a couple small mounting tabs. Get some extra copper washers #10139097for the banjo bolts. I didnt do any brake MC or booster stuff to make it work.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:20 PM

Old 03-11-2009, 05:41 PM

Thanks for the info Kevin. So the C5 lines aren't a direct swap? Nothing major as far as the grinding is concerned? Are the C5 lines the best route to go?

Those rotors look killer! I just don't want to have to deal with something going wrong and they end up cracking on me. I don't want to keep throwing new rotors at the car.

On a side note. I have neen looking into new springs and shocks. Should I put them on at the same time I do the brake swap? (since I will have the whole brake assembly off anyways)
Old 03-11-2009, 06:09 PM

I did the 98+ swap on my 94 and all I needed was the caliper,hub and the brake hose. just beware the brake hose from 98+ will work, but there is no way to get it to mount on the subframe. so I just zip tied it.... no big deal.

For rotors, Ive also read the horror stories on them cracking. I wanted the look of the crossdrill/slotted rotors so i went with the summit brand, they are cheap if they do crack. so far im very happy with the quality, they have 500 miles on right now.

brake pads I went with hawk hps, all I can say is WOW they work so well they will peel your face off under hard braking.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:21 PM

The swap I am waiting for has spindles, hubs, calipers, rotors, pads, and the 98+ lines. I am sure of one thing. I will be getting the HPS pads.

I love the look of the D/S rotors. I have just read to much about the failures to want to risk buying them. I will go for the slotted look as I think they will look great behind the ZR1's.

I am curious about another thing. Should the rotors I get be zinc coated? Does it matter?
Old 03-11-2009, 11:40 PM

There's a few using holes in their brakes. Maybe they don't do much, but they probably dont hurt anything either. I still wouldn't put them on a road race car where the brakes get super hot. But for a street car, I be they're fine if you don't go too cheap. FWIW, I've seen slots crack, too.

Last edited by Kevin Blown 95 TA; 03-11-2009 at 11:43 PM.