Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Going to the track and need suspension advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:48 PM

Going to the track and need suspension advice

Like the title says I'm going to BIR for my first time just for fun. My car is no track car but I have the k frame and front suspension out right now so now would be a great time to upgrade the suspension for better handling. I use the car for fun only and don't put many miles on it. I was thinking of upgrading the suspension bushings, installing higher rate springs, lowering it some, new shocks and possibly better sway bars. I am bolting in a Wolfe 5pt roll bar in it right now and have the Kenny DD's ready to go in. Who can help me sort out what to put on my car? What should I search for if this has been asked and answered before?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Bud
Old 08-24-2010, 12:04 PM

Are you going to autox or drag strip? If autox, then I would also like more info...

look up UMI, BMR, and Spohn for starters... they have great stuff concerning suspension: A-arms, K-member, panhard rod, lower control arms, front/rear sway bars, torque arms.

I'd like to autox my car eventually also, but I'm strapped for cash right now.

I would also suggest welding the rollcage.

Thanks,
Old 09-17-2010, 02:07 PM

I autox my 1996 Z28 on a monthy basses. And am running for the Central Carliona Region SCCA points championship in my class. If you have never autocrossed or tracked a car I would sugest running in stock trim for a while and get use to the way the car will act before you dump a lot of money in suspension. F stock in SCCA is a fun class and as long as your not running on the national level the camaros are still a force in the class.

If you want to do suspension upgrades I would go UMI all the way. But springs, sway bars, and shocks make a big difference with these. You can also do a lot with the stock arms if you box them in and modify a few other things.