Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Gonna get bilsteins finally think these are ok?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 07:08 PM

Gonna get bilsteins finally think these are ok?

These are on ebay for $338 shipped. They are front and rear HD's. They are the cheapest I have found anywhere to go with my lowering springs. They look ok?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-03...em160202124890
Old 01-27-2008, 08:41 PM

As they say, you better call first. I have heard Bilsteins have been on back order for a while.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:43 PM

Yeah I sent an email to make sure they are in stock. So far they are the best price I've been able to find. Hopefully they have em.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:05 PM

If they don't have them, Speedinc did earlier this month when I got mine.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:36 PM

I keep trying to tell folks that the Bilstein's of today are not the Bilstein's of yesterday (even 2 years ago). If you want to buy shocks that have had valving changes that make them more like the DeCarbon's that's your business. When Bilstein's are around, I sell a lot of them. Before the huge backorders, I had all but stopped selling HD's for the 4th gen because of the changes and more than a few complaints that just weren't right.

It bothers me that these details aren't discussed. Nobody would by a camshaft without knowing the specs, or tires, or headers without knowing the primary sizes or collector sizes. But yet folks buy springs and shocks and such without these details.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I keep trying to tell folks that the Bilstein's of today are not the Bilstein's of yesterday (even 2 years ago). If you want to buy shocks that have had valving changes that make them more like the DeCarbon's that's your business. When Bilstein's are around, I sell a lot of them. Before the huge backorders, I had all but stopped selling HD's for the 4th gen because of the changes and more than a few complaints that just weren't right.

It bothers me that these details aren't discussed. Nobody would by a camshaft without knowing the specs, or tires, or headers without knowing the primary sizes or collector sizes. But yet folks buy springs and shocks and such without these details.
what shocks do you recommend then? and how much are they compared to the bilsteins?
Old 01-28-2008, 07:53 PM

All I know is that the Bilstiens I have coupled with the Hotchkis springs is making for a great daily driver ride that handles well.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:22 AM

I can't tell anyone to run "this shock" without talking things over with them, there are just a lot of details that matter and presumably they will stay on the car for a long time to come.

I'm not going to argue that a car might not feel better than stock with them. But what I will point out is that the comparisons are flawed. It's not hard to improve on GM shocks and spring combinations and very few people have had the opprotunity to feel different shocks on their own car where setup differences aren't part of the equation. Basically if you can't compare to something else, you could very well think you have the best. I'll add that there are folks who have had other shocks, including various Bilstein's and later switched to Koni's for example, and they have posted the results in various forums. And I can't think of a person that hasn't found it to be a good change.

I'm not saying Greed4Speed's car is a unholy mess. I'm saying I know it's not what it could be. And frankly given the choice of the current valving on the HD's, I'd normally recommend KYB AGX's if Koni's are not an option.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:30 AM

Listen to Sam...we researched this issue around the same time when I was looking to upgrade.

The engineer with Bilstein (he probably shouldn't have, but he did) revelead the setting on the "new" Bilsteins to me. They basically copied SLP's settings, which made the new ones even worse then the old HD's.

If you like a soft, mushy ride in the back, you'll like the Bilstein's. If you want to know how to make an F-body handle...Sam's the man.

You've been warned...
Old 01-29-2008, 11:06 AM

The numbers I have make it worse. The front they copied SLP (less compression, more rebound) but that's not ideal. More rebound is good.... but they went and took some compression out and that's what controls the unsprung weight (wheels, tires, brakes). Most folks add bigger wheels and tires and/or bigger brakes which doesn't call for LESS compression damping than stock.

On the rear they just changed (SLP used to use normal HD's). They took rebound damping away and added compression which is what's wrong with the stock DeCarbon rears.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:08 AM

So I would be better off with KYB AGX's? They are comparable in price. I can't afford Koni's.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:16 AM

I think so, which is why I started stocking them. If a non-adjustable shock isn't valved "right" or even the way you like, you can't do anything about it. At least with the AGX's you have some control over your car's ride and handling. They are NOT Koni's, but they are the next best thing IMHO given what else is around.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:07 PM

Another good word here for Sam. I was in this same position, didn't want to spend the money for the koni's but when it was all said and done I decided to spend the extra money and get what I really needed, and I am that glad i did without a doubt.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:58 AM

What about using the Bilsteins for the rears on a third gen on 4th gen rears? I thought the valving was better on the third gen shocks for the rears.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:31 AM

You can do that, but they cost almost as much as Koni 3rd gen rears which have adjustment, and that still doesn't fix the front issues.

Quick Reply: Gonna get bilsteins finally think these are ok?