Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Good instructions for installing lowering springs for an LT1 bodied camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 10:34 AM
RRR

Question Good instructions for installing lowering springs for an LT1 bodied camaro?

All i have are ls1 guides with pictures. I would like an lt1 guide with pics or a very detailed writeup. anyone can help? thanks
Old 04-03-2009, 10:45 AM

Thumbs up

It's exactly the same.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:04 PM
RRR

Originally Posted by bluz28
It's exactly the same.
well the thing is the guides i have say nothing about the spindle for the brakes.

right now i have unbolted the top 2 nuts and studs
removed the t50 torx nuts
removed the bottom two nuts and studs
loosened the sway bar.

the assembly is loose and supported but i cant figure out how to get the strut/spring separated fron the upper arm/spindle?
Old 04-03-2009, 01:10 PM

You push down on the lower a-arm and pull down on the shock(not strut)/spring assy and it should come free from the top.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:17 PM

Lightbulb

Heres what I use to pop the upper ball joints, it a small, modified pitman puller I've used for years.
All I did to it was grind off the point on the threaded part, and grind and smooth the Left and Right lips that slide right next to the ball joint boot.
And you can get this at any auto parts store.

Name:  upperballjointpopper004.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  125.5 KB
Old 04-03-2009, 04:21 PM

And also completely disconnect the sway bar end links!
Old 04-03-2009, 07:17 PM
RRR

that looks handy to have. it really was just a matter of pushing up on the shock and down on the lower part to massage it out thanks for the advice guys. Now I have some rusted on shock bolts that I have thoroughly wd-40ed several times and will attempt removing them again tomorrow.

Originally Posted by bluz28
Heres what I use to pop the upper ball joints, it a small, modified pitman puller I've used for years.
All I did to it was grind off the point on the threaded part, and grind and smooth the Left and Right lips that slide right next to the ball joint boot.
And you can get this at any auto parts store.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by RRR
that looks handy to have. it really was just a matter of pushing up on the shock and down on the lower part to massage it out thanks for the advice guys. Now I have some rusted on shock bolts that I have thoroughly wd-40ed several times and will attempt removing them again tomorrow.
If the bolts are like a lot of them, you will have to cut them off. Make sure you have your spring compressed first.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:03 AM
RRR

Originally Posted by shoebox
If the bolts are like a lot of them, you will have to cut them off. Make sure you have your spring compressed first.
lol of course. i can get the nut most of the way off but the wrench i am using to keep the rod from turning is now not doing the job (slipping slightly stripping). i can recall there being a special socket or wrench to make this easy but I cant recall what it looks like etc. any help there?

cutting the bolts off isn't an option - i don't have money for new shocks
Old 04-04-2009, 12:04 PM

Spray some PB blaster on/around it, it way better than wd-40 for loosening fasteners.
Then try to scrape the rust out of some of those upper threads (pointy metal hook shaped tool).

I think it's called a "hook and pick set", you should be able to get the tools at, all most anywhere that has a decent amount of tools for sale.

Last edited by bluz28; 04-04-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by RRR
lol of course. i can get the nut most of the way off but the wrench i am using to keep the rod from turning is now not doing the job (slipping slightly stripping). i can recall there being a special socket or wrench to make this easy but I cant recall what it looks like etc. any help there?

cutting the bolts off isn't an option - i don't have money for new shocks
You could probalby cut them most of the way through with a Dremel cut-off wheel and then pop the last part of it off without damage to the shock threads.

Honestly, I would not even think of doing lowering springs (or any springs for that matter) without changing the [front] shocks. You have to do the same amount of work to do either one. Plus, stock shocks (especially ones that are not new) won't keep up with the higher spring rate of lowering springs. The ride may not be much to your liking.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Honestly, I would not even think of doing lowering springs (or any springs for that matter) without changing the [front] shocks. You have to do the same amount of work to do either one. Plus, stock shocks (especially ones that are not new) won't keep up with the higher spring rate of lowering springs. The ride may not be much to your liking.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:56 AM

Ditto. I just lowered my car. I thought I would reuse everthing. It turns out I have an all new setup, and I'm glad. I went to autozone for new shocks and mounts, which are not the best, but are a vast improvement over 16 year-old stock components. And not having to work with rust was a big plus.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:34 PM
RRR

my shocks only have around 69k miles on them that's why i was thinking of reusing them but the more i think about it the more I have to question how much worse the ride quality will be after install. I had a set of Intrax lowering springs sitting in my garage and always wanted to see how the car looked with them on - never got around to it until recently but it seems those that have done this with stock shocks regret it. How about cutting a coil off of the front stockers and doing the hose mod in the rear? I have heard ride quality is more or less the same but provides better handling?
Old 04-05-2009, 04:49 PM

I don't ever recommend cutting springs.

Quick Reply: Good instructions for installing lowering springs for an LT1 bodied camaro?