Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

ground control coil overs

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 04:25 PM

ground control coil overs

http://www.ground-control-store.com/...hp/II=21/CA=86
on this link, is that for all four sides? and does anyone know if i pick it for the stock shocks, then how hard would it be for these to work with koni shocks later?
thanks

p.s. can coil overs raise the car too?

Last edited by DiabloGT; 04-16-2006 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:32 PM

Re: ground control coil overs

I bought the hardware separately, but I'll tell you what I know...

That red cylinder is the sleeve which slides over the front shock body and rests on the lower spring perch. The gold-ish adjuster threads up and down anywhere you see threads and tightens with an included allen wrench. It should come with a spanner wrench (mine didn't). If there are physical differences in the shocks, then there aren't any guarantees it'll all be compatible. Call them and confirm your options. Maybe they'll sell you the extra parts needed separately.

The rears are just a threaded spring seat which sits on top of the OEM seat. The spring sits on the adjuster and you adjust the height in the same manner.

So long as you have thread left, you can raise/lower the corners as much as you desire. I will tell you, however, that it's a major PITA to mount these on Koni SA's or DA's. The reason is that there is a hat by the rebound adjuster which the dust cover snaps onto. You can either remove the hat or grind the hat diameter down so the dust cover and the lower spring perch can slide up and over the hat.

To remove the hat you basically need a 18mm line wrench, a way to secure the shock shaft from spinning, and The Big Book of Profanity(tm). Else use a grinder and just be careful not to get the shock shaft too hot. The latter is a wakeup call on a set of $700 shocks FWIW, I tried the wrench, but gave up and ground it off.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:32 PM

do you think these are worth it if you use the stock shocks? is it worth the $400? did you feel any handling difference or anything?
thanks
Old 04-18-2006, 12:37 AM

I really don't see the sense in buying adjustable coilovers if you're not competing in your vehicle. But it's your car, your money, and ultimately all you can do is make a decision based upon your goals.

If you decide you want them, I'd recommend installing matched springs and shocks at the same time. If you can't afford do do both, save until you can. If you need new shocks now due to damage, etc, buy a cheap set of shocks to get you by until you have all the components.

Sure I felt a handling difference, but I also changed a few other things at the same time so I can't isolate what adjusting the front ride height by itself would have done. I made simultaneous changes because it's part of a larger package I'm trying out.

The Koni's, SA and DA, are a great shock but many don't get the bang for their buck. Decide if you'll take the time to adjust the shocks and/or the ride height for street manners and/or competition.

If you just need a good shock/spring combo for a specific application and don't need the adjustability, save the money. Call Sam Strano for a recommendation. He will not sell you what you don't need unless you absolutely insist upon it.

Order line: 800/729-1831
Tech line: 814/849-3417
Old 04-18-2006, 09:00 AM

but your sure that these coil overs can raise the body about an inch right?
Old 04-18-2006, 10:55 AM

For my combination, they will. Since you can't return them to me if it doesn't work, I'd call Ground Control to get their word
Old 04-24-2006, 12:18 PM

im starting to think i should get these soon, but im scared that the rear springs will touch my rear tires since i have 305/35/18 on the back and they are z06 rims. is there any way i can find out if it will rub before i buy them? and what shocks are easier to install with these at the same time: koni or stock shocks?
thanks