Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Ground control coilovers or Eibach sportlines?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 09:43 AM

Ground control coilovers or Eibach sportlines?

Hey guys i want to lower my T/A
can't decide on springs or coilovers
i always had good luck with Eibach springs, but i really want to be able to slam the car at shows, so i saw these Ground Control coilovers and was wondering if anybody has used these. they use Eibach springs on the coilover, so they look nice,However I want the car to handle as best as it can, so if these are not gonna do that then let me know

i have used coilovers and drop springs in plenty of Honda's and currently have skunk2 springs in my 'Lude that i think handle better than the coilovers i used to have on it, so im confused on what to get the 'Bird

really if i get Eibachs, it will be the sportlines for the lowest drop unless u guys dont think i should
I already have Bilstein stuts on the car and its not gonna be a daily driver
just weekends and cruising so i really want it as low as i can go
i plan to fnd a camber kit hopefully
BTW i got C5 wheels 17/18 so wondering if clearance will be a issue
Old 02-29-2008, 03:20 PM

anybody use these at all? almost been a month no replies come on guys
Old 03-02-2008, 07:30 PM

I'll try to help you out a little...

first, I'm assuming you're talking about the 2000 bird.

4th gen fbodys don't use struts, so forget about the camber kit.

You can find the Eibach Sportlines used pretty cheap because they ride so low, they basically ride the bumpstops... They look great! But, the ride will flat out suck on anything less than perfect pavement...

If you're going for looks, that's one thing, but if you want to handle, that's another...

Before you spend a lot of money on your ride, you may want to do some research in this forum and the appearence forum... If you really want the car to handle, you may want to call Sam Strano and have him help you with your setup.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by CheshireCat
I'll try to help you out a little...

first, I'm assuming you're talking about the 2000 bird.

4th gen fbodys don't use struts, so forget about the camber kit.

You can find the Eibach Sportlines used pretty cheap because they ride so low, they basically ride the bumpstops... They look great! But, the ride will flat out suck on anything less than perfect pavement...

If you're going for looks, that's one thing, but if you want to handle, that's another...

Before you spend a lot of money on your ride, you may want to do some research in this forum and the appearence forum... If you really want the car to handle, you may want to call Sam Strano and have him help you with your setup.
thanks for the reply, everyone says Strano is the guy to talk too so il have to ask him
looks is important but i care more about the handling aspect so ill have to see
Old 03-09-2008, 02:20 PM

The LG G2 Supersprings lower 1.75" ( Spring rates are 550/180-220). And would be a lot better option then the soft spring rate Sportlines. IMO
And if you want an adjustable coilover kit, get the GlobalWest kit, it cost more then the Ground Control kit, but it's worth. If you were to compare the two kits side by side, I'm sure you would prefer the G.W. without a second thought.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by bluz28
The LG G2 Supersprings lower 1.75" ( Spring rates are 550/180-220). And would be a lot better option then the soft spring rate Sportlines. IMO
And if you want an adjustable coilover kit, get the GlobalWest kit, it cost more then the Ground Control kit, but it's worth. If you were to compare the two kits side by side, I'm sure you would prefer the G.W. without a second thought.
Awesome thanks man, i really do want adjustable coilover kit, but everyone was telling me to get springs..... i heard those G2's were good so ill look into them
glad you told me about the GlobalWest kit im seriously looking into this cause im leaning towards coilovers

do you have them on your car, if so any pics?
Old 03-14-2008, 05:18 PM

The only down side to the GroundControl or GlobalWest rear ride height adj. kits is you basically have to remove the springs if you want to adj. your ride height.
Right now I'm running a AirRide tech. 93+ rear coolride kit with manual air valves and I love It! Better ride with a lower ride height and It still doesn't bottom out the rear suspension like all the other lowering springs I've had on the back,that sit at least 1"higher. And it handles just as good!

Just another option for you to think about.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:00 PM

I run konis and strano springs with lca's and an adj phb and love it. Would never get anything buy konis.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:50 PM

The only down side to the GroundControl or GlobalWest rear ride height adj. kits is you basically have to remove the springs if you want to adj. your ride height.
I've been messing with the rear ride height of my GC kit for years without removing the springs.

As with the front, you simply have to take some of the weight off the spring by jacking the car up a bit.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:15 PM

I've tried it a couple of times without pulling the wheel off, and not pulling the spring out and it was a pain in the *** !IMO So I've always pulled the wheel and dropped the spring But it only takes me about 10 minutes per side and that way seemed easier to me.
Now it only takes me about 30 seconds max to adjust each side. with air springs.

And Its also alot easier to adjust the fronts with the wheel off! IMO

Last edited by bluz28; 03-14-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:05 AM

I was just tweaking the ride heights / corner weights the other day while getting ready for the first race of the season.

Raise the jack a few pumps.
Duck under the car.
Loosen collar screw.
Adjust height.
Tighten screw.
Lower jack.

Two or three minutes at most.

*shrug* To each his own....
Old 03-15-2008, 02:35 PM

Right now I'm running a AirRide tech. 93+ rear coolride kit with manual air valves and I love It! Better ride with a lower ride height and It still doesn't bottom out the rear suspension like all the other lowering springs I've had on the back,that sit at least 1"higher. And it handles just as good!

Just another option for you to think about.
Wow that sounds pretty sweet, how much did that cost and what do you have up front?

Originally Posted by Chewbacca
I've been messing with the rear ride height of my GC kit for years without removing the springs.

As with the front, you simply have to take some of the weight off the spring by jacking the car up a bit.
nice im glad somebody on here has used GC's, seems just like my Honda coilovers i used, pretty easy to lower/raise

how low can you get the car with GC's, they say 0-2 inch drop or can u go more? just wondering
cause at shows i would want to slam it all the way........how does that thing handle with the GC's?

i think im gonna go with GC's cause they are only $419 and i looked at the Global West kit and its only the front, they no longer offer rear Coilovers and its like $500......the guy said they just use springs out back, but that kinda sucks i want to be able to adjust, he said i can cut the springs cause they have a bunch of dead coils, if the back is not low enough but **** that............he kinda pissed me off ,guy didnt seem to know much

i want this thing to handle!!

Last edited by EvilBird; 03-15-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by EvilBird
how low can you get the car with GC's, they say 0-2 inch drop or can u go more? just wondering
cause at shows i would want to slam it all the way
Lowering the kit would put you on the bumpstops before you run out of adjustment.

Originally Posted by EvilBird
........how does that thing handle with the GC's?

i think im gonna go with GC's cause they are only $419 and i looked at the Global West kit and its only the front, they no longer offer rear Coilovers and its like $500......the guy said they just use springs out back, but that kinda sucks i want to be able to adjust, he said i can cut the springs cause they have a bunch of dead coils, if the back is not low enough but **** that............he kinda pissed me off ,guy didnt seem to know much

i want this thing to handle!!
If you want it to handle then you'll need to put some thought into your spring rate selection, shock selection, bar selection and your ride height.

Or you could call Sam.

He doesn't deal with GC anymore but if you purchased the complementing components from him, I'm sure he'd steer you in the right direction with regard to spring rates.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:11 AM

I got rear coolride kit last november for about $300 total w/manual inflation kit and extra inflation valve.
for shocks QA1 D.A.
26.25" to top center of rear wheelwell with 275/40/18s

In the front I'm running QA1 D.A. w/12" Hypercoil 550 in. lbs.2.5" springs, and GlobalWest upper spring seat adapter.
26" to top center of front wheelwell with 275/35/18s

Last edited by bluz28; 03-16-2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:23 AM

bluz28 are you still running the manual air setup? do you have each bag on a seperate valve stem or is the rear tied to one? throw in some cheap smc valves or even standard ridepro valves and it will improve even more.

Quick Reply: Ground control coilovers or Eibach sportlines?