Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Guys with prokit springs...anyone have alignment issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 03:15 PM

Guys with prokit springs...anyone have alignment issues?

I just finished taking my car to 4 different alignment shops in town and I finally found one to align it. The first shop aligned it so far off that the tire wore a hole in it and it blew. The bought me a new tire, and they told me they didn't have the tool to set the camber which was out @ 1.7 degrees negative on the RF. The second shop didn't even know where the adjustment was, and then tried convincing me me car was bent out of shape even though they never attempted the adjustment. The third was the same as the first. The fourth adjusted it better, everything in spec except the camber was still .8 negative on both sides. The tech said the adjustment was bottomed out. I tried a search but didn't find the answer I was looking for.

Do you guys with prokit springs have to elongate your adjustment slots in order to bring the camber back into spec? Or is there something else I'm not seeing here?
Old 01-16-2005, 04:48 PM

Re: Guys with prokit springs...anyone have alignment issues?

Ive had prokits on my car for a few years, had the car realigned when i got them and had no problem since. It took the guy i had do it about 30 minutes or so to get it right. I think it boils down to finding a shop thats actually worth a damn and has the special tools to do our cars. Unfortunatly when it comes to alignment Camaros are hard. How close are you to anywhere that does other performance work on cars, that would be where i would look, not a regular shop unless your confident in their ability.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:26 PM

i work at a GM dealer, and asked one of the techs to align my car...first question he asked me was if my car was lowered...i said no its stock height and he said ok good. he said the machine will put out stock settings for aligning. He said you need custom machines to align lowered cars

He is gonna do mine for 25$
Old 01-17-2005, 09:15 AM
Administrator

You probably don't want stock alignment specs on a lowered car. I ran the Pro-Kits (the front was actually down 1.8" with the QA1/HAL shocks), and had no problem having the front end aligned to my specs. -1deg camber, +4deg caster, 0.10 toe. Car handled fine and there was never any sign of unusual tire wear. The 275/40-17 GS-C's came off with 45,000 miles on them, and still had 25% of the tread left, and no unusual wear.

The 4th Gen FAQ actually recommends -0.8deg camber for Eibach lowering springs.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:46 AM

Well They got mine closer. The specs are now at -.7 camber on each side, and the caster and toe is both within spec. Alot better than the -1.8 that was on it before...Car is still alittle jumpy on the interstate though, wondering if I have a problem now with radial pull...pulls left a little. Just not looking forward to chewing up some expensive tires.