Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

handling

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 09:25 AM

handling

my ideal performance car is something that can go around turns likes its on rails and hook up in a straight line. what suspension packages have you guys used on your cars to make it brake better or handle better under cornering. I need help guys and yes ive searched but im looking for more.
please leave a detail description of you suspension/chassis mods along with what you paid for them. thanks,

steve
Old 11-24-2007, 01:55 PM

How much money are you looking to spend? There is almost no limit to the things that can be upgraded. I have been slowly upgrading my car when i have the money. I would start with a set of Koni shocks and some lowering springs. I went with slp rear control arms and panhard bar and it made a night and day difference. Sub frames were next but i never noticed as big of a difference. Poly bushing and high tech upper and lower control arms are a great option also.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:31 PM

thanks for the info. I was thinking about some kyb adjustable shocks all around. some bigger sway bars and shocks that give me a lower stance (1-2 inch drop) I have about 600 or so to spend so far what would be my best bet. i want the car to handle hard turns. thanks,

steve
Old 12-02-2007, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by lt1 beast
thanks for the info. I was thinking about some kyb adjustable shocks all around. some bigger sway bars and shocks that give me a lower stance (1-2 inch drop) I have about 600 or so to spend so far what would be my best bet. i want the car to handle hard turns. thanks,

steve
Sway bars have no effect on ride height, but they will help with handling. You are pretty much in the ball park of where you want to be, shocks springs sway bars will all help handling. Also setting your camber "slightly" negative will also help with the corners. Keep in mind that a stiffer suspension and lowering the car will hurt your hooking ability in a straight line. Modifying a car for anything is always a give and take relationship. You'll always have to give up something to gain something.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:36 PM

if you go koni than setup the car for corners. If you go qa1 set it up for drag. I say this because im on koni sa's and they suck on the strip. Ive talked to numerous guys on hals and they suck for cornering. So pick wisely because its really hard to make a car setup for a road course 60ft. And throw a trailer queen on a road course and just laugh away.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by slomarao
if you go koni than setup the car for corners. If you go qa1 set it up for drag. I say this because im on koni sa's and they suck on the strip. Ive talked to numerous guys on hals and they suck for cornering. So pick wisely because its really hard to make a car setup for a road course 60ft. And throw a trailer queen on a road course and just laugh away.

Let's not be so hasty and flat out say Koni's suck at the strip.... Do you turn the fronts down when you drag race? There a lot of folks who can run 1.6's and some even better with Koni's on a car on handling setups, not drag setups (and not cheater slicks either, usually just DR's). Some cars just don't launch well be it track prep or any number of other things. I've seen cars with "drag setups" not be able to cut 1.9's, and I've seen folks do that on bone stock suspensions.

No, Koni's are intended for drag racing, they make specific drag shocks for that job which you'll find on a lot of things including many Pro Stock cars, but they are not at all to be used on the street.

Again, I have one customer who has a copy of my suspension from my autox car on his SS. He doesn't do anything to suit drag racing to the setup, doesn't turn the shocks down, doesn't remove or unhook the 35mm front bar, nothing and cuts 1.6's all day long on drag radials. I'm sure that would improve if he did the things he could. But that's his compromise.