Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Is it hard to put in lowering springs???

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 03:26 PM

Is it hard to put in lowering springs???

I'm looking at BMR's for an inch drop....but i don't want to pay someone what i paid for the springs to put them in....i know there's install guides on brent's website....i don't have a spring compressor and i for sure don't want to trust the jack like some ppl. use

also i'm looking at 18x9.5 wheels all around.....do i need to have the car aligned after either one of these or both of these projects b/c they might not happen all at once?

Thanks
Old 12-10-2004, 03:47 PM

Re: Is it hard to put in lowering springs???

Yep, you'll definitely want to hold back about $60 or so for an alignment after a spring swap. And yes you'll need a spring compressor. And yes the job is easier to do with a buddy. Rears are easy, fronts can be a PITA.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Compstall
Yep, you'll definitely want to hold back about $60 or so for an alignment after a spring swap. And yes you'll need a spring compressor. And yes the job is easier to do with a buddy. Rears are easy, fronts can be a PITA.

thanks i figured i would on the spring install.......what about putting on 18's from 16's that i have now...see i might do the spring's now and wait until spring to get the wheels
Old 12-10-2004, 04:25 PM

u have to get it aligned with the spring install but if you do that first u wont need one when you get the wheels
Old 12-10-2004, 04:40 PM

Yeah the rears are a piece of cake. The fronts can be a little bit more interesting depending on how tight or corroded the top nut on the strut would be. Spring compressors are relatively cheap...I have no idea if there are Princess Auto shops in the states (I'm sure Autozone or something would be similar) but I picked up a set of compressors for about $25 CAD and have used them to swap 3 different sets of struts/springs. And I'll agree with alignment after lowering...not so much after wheels; only if you want them balanced and such...

My $0.02
Old 12-10-2004, 04:43 PM

okay thanks for your info guys so i'll just align it once and be done that's a good thing