Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Help! ABS Hard Brake Line Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 12:17 PM

Help! ABS Hard Brake Line Replacement

Ok so I'm working on dropping the subframe out and as most of you know, you have to disconnect the 3 lines from the ABS unit. One of the three came off easily, and the other two won't budge. I've tried the flare nut wrench but even they were just rounding the nut. So I tired vice grips like other have suggested. I was able to get a few small turns on one of the nuts, but with each turn the nut was getting chewed up really badly. Now the vice grips won't even work because the nut is mangled.... So I was going to just cut the line and deal with removing the messed up nut from the ABS unit. Do you have any tips on removing a mangled nut? Can I just cut it apart with a dremel & cutting wheel?

My ABS was moved from it's stock location when the procharger was installed so I would have to custom bend lines and flare the ends myself. Instead of doing that can I use stainless steel braided lines of the same diameter instead? Has anyone ever done this? Is there any alternative to the hard brakelines?

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:29 AM

No ideas on this one?
Old 01-31-2008, 10:13 PM

I recently did a 97 abs delete. I ended up with using a good size vise-grip with alot of clamp force to loosen the nuts. Really had to mechanically bite the V_grip teeth into the nut flange. I purchased fitting nuts @ the local auto parts store. Made my own lines from purchased tube. B.