Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Help with brakes, please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 06:16 AM

Help with brakes, please.

A friend of mine has needed her brake pads changed twice in 2 weeks. It's been the same wheel both times. Both times they were changed by members of her family. Well, one pad keeps getting worn down to bare metal, but the other one is still like new.

What could possibly be holding that one pad against the rotor? She doesn't know if it's the inside pad, but I assume it is. Could the piston be sticking? Her ex-husband (he changed them the first time) told her he broke something, but he won't tell her what it was.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:21 AM

Re: Help with brakes, please.

Originally Posted by Mighty
A friend of mine has needed her brake pads changed twice in 2 weeks. It's been the same wheel both times. Both times they were changed by members of her family. Well, one pad keeps getting worn down to bare metal, but the other one is still like new.

What could possibly be holding that one pad against the rotor? She doesn't know if it's the inside pad, but I assume it is. Could the piston be sticking? Her ex-husband (he changed them the first time) told her he broke something, but he won't tell her what it was.
I'm no expert at this by any means because I honestly have my own brake problems... But if the Piston were sticking, wouldn't that make it difficult, if not impossible to install new pads? (C-Clamp won't push the piston back to put Callipre over rotor)

This is just basic stuff, Did he grease the sliding pins? If they're not greased then the Calipre can get stuck on one side and just allow the pad to "ride" on the rotor... But I'd doubt that would cause it to wear in just 2 days... It sounds like a pressure problem... ... I'm no help at this ...
Old 10-23-2006, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
But if the Piston were sticking, wouldn't that make it difficult, if not impossible to install new pads? (C-Clamp won't push the piston back to put Callipre over rotor)
That's what I thought, too.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:04 AM
Lounge Moderator

Sounds like one of the pistons isn't releasing pressure properly when the brakes are disengaged -- has the brake fluid been flushed/refilled?
Old 10-23-2006, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Shockwave
Sounds like one of the pistons isn't releasing pressure properly when the brakes are disengaged -- has the brake fluid been flushed/refilled?
I don't know. I'll have to ask. Wouldn't she feel that?
Old 10-23-2006, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mighty
... Wouldn't she feel that?
Apparently, not. Sounds like a sticking piston or guide pins. Probably needs a rebuild or caliper swap.