Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

HELP! can't get rear pads on

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 08:47 PM

Re: HELP! can't get rear pads on

I had the same problem when i did mine and was off about the same. I know exactly what your problem is.

When you undid the top caliper bolt the one where there is a bolt and then an another bolt and a black rubber bushing and you have to hold one side while you loosen the other side. That is what you need to be looking at.

What i had to do was take the PUSH that toward the car so that the rubber bushing was almost completely covering the 2nd bolt. It's kind of tricky but you should be able to do it. Infact i think i used the c clamp pushed it back.

Where the black bushing looking this is were it slides in and out (away and towards the car). Your old pads were smaller so it was pushed out farther away from the car to close the distance so you dont have alot of open space and now that you have your new pads they are thicker and it needs to be slided back in (towards the car) so that there is enough room for the pad on the outside.

If that doesn't help just reply back and i'll try to discribe it a little better.

That should give you enough room to clear the rotor.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:03 PM

i'll try that this weekend. thanks all who replyed.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:02 PM

Its also possible that one or both of your pistons are rusted and wont go any further back than they currently are. That was what happened to me when I tried to do my rear brakes. I was real pissed cuz I knew how to do brakes and I couldnt do it, finally got sick of trying to get them on there and put the old stuff back on and took it up to my mechanic friend and he figured out that one of my pistons was rusted and wouldnt go in any farther, we pulled it out and sanded off all the rust, and it worked just fine after that. Prolly not the problem in your case, but its possible.