Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

help choosing the right lower control arms for the rear

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 05:13 PM

Talking help choosing the right lower control arms for the rear

Alright, seems my lakewoods are not the slickest thing in the world, or so I have been warned.

So, what do I get? I know there is rod ends, and polly ends, boxed ones and rod ones. So, what do I get? Spohn makes the boxed and round ones. They also have the relocation kit that I am guessing I should get.

But, This is a DAILY DRIVER. So I think the rod ends are out of the question, as I dont want to change them every year. The polly would do just fine I would think, if not tell me why not.

I have yet to be steered in the wrong direction by the users here, so this is why I am asking.

Is there a difference between brands other than cost? I suppose I would rather by the least expensive ones that work! No sense in spending more than you have to.

So, tell me what to buy! (or ask me more questions to help you chose)
Thanks
Cody
Old 07-02-2006, 05:16 PM

Re: help choosing the right lower control arms for the rear

oh, update of what I have already:
stock rear with 3.42's
T/A girdle with bearing caps
stock panhard with polly bushings
spohn chassis mounted torque arm with polly end
both driveshaft safety loops
sphon 1" chromemolly rear sway bar
LS1 aluminum driveshaft on the way
stock T-56
motor putting down 422rwhp at last dyno day
295/35zr18 bfg tires
stock clutch and pressure plate
polly tranny mount
polly motor mounts

Last edited by firebirdStud; 07-02-2006 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:59 PM

The relocation kit can be used to improve straight-line traction on a stock ride-height car, or correct suspension geometry on a lowered car.

I think that most people would never notice the difference between boxed and round tube LCA's.

LCA's with poly/poly ends have a tendancy to bind during hard cornering, thus are not suitable for road course, Autocross, or "extreme" street driving. They work good for drag racing and are fine for most people's street driving. Having one rod end on the LCA's solves this problem, but as you mentioned adds a maintenance requirement.

Probably the best solution for a DD + occasional strip car would be LCA's with one poly bushing, and one rubber one to allow a bit of flex - but with 0 maintenance. Not every manufacturer offers this combo, though the bushings can be swapped out. Many people drive daily with poly/poly LCA's with no problem, though.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:57 AM

yeah, for three years I have had the lakewoods. They are polly polly, with zero issues. I drive it hard occasionally, I like to see how fast I can corner. Usually I try to add 25mph to the posted speed and take it going that fast. Its just the cheap thrill of it that gets me going... So, I am thinking that the boxed polly ones would serve my goal quite nicely. I will try to go to an autocross event someday I think with the local f-body club, but I have an electric waterpump and everyone says thats a no-no and Im doing great with it. So, its hard to believe the internet scholars when so many people are proving them wrong. That was why I was looking for some real world experience...

I have a stock ride hieght car, and I will not be lowering it. It already has clearance issues with the sphon chassis mounted torque arm clearanced for long tube headers.

So, Relocation brackets help for everything?? daily driving, cornering, and doesn't hurt performance in any way?

Thanks again for the help, keep it coming!
Old 07-03-2006, 03:27 PM

On a stock ride-height car, the RLBs (relocation brackets) will only benefit straight line launching traction. They will not improve handling, in fact they sacrifice a bit of handling. The car will have more of a tendancy to oversteer at the limit with RLBs. Now if you have larger rear tires than fronts... maybe the car will end up fairly balanced???
Old 07-03-2006, 10:16 PM

yup, I have 295s out back, 275s out front. I dont notice any issues, but then again Im not autocrossing. so who knows...

So it is a no no to get relocation brackets with my setup?? I thought they were the cats aZZ??
Old 07-03-2006, 11:55 PM

There's nothing wrong with getting RLB's for a stock ride-height car... I have a set ordered for mine.

Just understand that they'll only benefit your straight line traction - they won't help with handling.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:09 AM

I had BMR's on my car, and I liked them just fine. They were good for the track and street. (I still have them if you want them). I upgraded when I got the 9" though.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:43 AM

Jeremy95TA, pm sent!

So the jist I am getting is they will help straightline launching, but not hurt anything cornering and daily driving??
Old 07-04-2006, 11:26 AM

You can buy a set of replacement rubber bushings for BMR LCAs from BMR. You may be able to swap them into your Lakewood arms if you want to try rubber/poly.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:35 PM

I used to have Hotchkis poly/poly LCAs and PHB...Years of hard launches completely trashed the poly bushings. When I removed the LCAs the bushings were severely deflected and were definitely binding up...when I took off the PHB the bushings were pushed out and tearing apart! I have since gone with Spohn rod ended LCAs and a chrome moly rod ended PHB...what a huge difference! The rod ended LCAs helped me to 1.55 60's on lil 255 M/T radials..I just added the rod ended PHB and the car just sticks like crazy..Its a bit more noisey but not terrible, and Spohn uses high quality bushings that should not need to be replaced every year. Even with poly you'll be changing the bushings as I should have been doing...

With the power you are making I'd consider the rod ended stuff...You are making way more rwhp than I am...You give up a little bit of ride quality but gain tons of accurate suspension reaction with no binding...

With my new Bogarts with 275 50 15 M/T radials I have pulled the left front on the street...There's a new 427 powered Z06 owner who found that out today..Pretty cool...I'll never go back to poly stuff..

--Alan
Old 07-07-2006, 10:37 PM

wow allan... good stuff.. So, do i need to buy those rod end cover things from summit to make it last longer? How long is one of those rod ends expected to last on a daily driver? I drive the crap out of my car, so I really dont want to replace them too often... THANKS THOUGH! Good stuff!
Old 07-07-2006, 10:52 PM

If you plan on daily driving your car I'd stay away from rod end. If I'm not mistaken thats pretty much for track only use. I'd read up a bit more on that.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:16 PM

You might want to call Steve Spohn and ask him...You'll probably be fine with poly stuff, but you should stay on top of the condition of the bushings...Poly definitely wears, tears, deflects, binds, etc over time...And you are making enough power to put a hurtin' on those buggers...

--Alan
Old 07-08-2006, 07:44 PM

awe crap. dilemas dilemas... K, maybe I will just hit him up and see what he thinks..

Quick Reply: help choosing the right lower control arms for the rear