Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Help getting suspension together

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 01:27 PM

Help getting suspension together

I am about ready to start piecing together my suspension. I am going to go with either Spohn or BMR products and have a few questions.

What all should I get???

Should I go with adjustable or non adjustable components??

Is a shock tower brace really worth it if it is mostly a drag car only???

How about control arm relocation brackets???

Thanks
Old 06-08-2005, 06:41 PM

Re: Help getting suspension together

Dont get an stb, they dont do much positive if anything on the cars, waste of money and weight imo. The relocation brackets supposedly give a lot of extra traction. Ill let the pros handle the rest.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:12 PM

You are the first person I've EVER heard or read say STB's are a waste of money. I had one on my thirdgen and it was a difference of night and day in handling. I just ordered my Spohn for my '96 Z today.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:13 PM

I had one on my mustang. I loved it because the car was a convertible and it made the car feel really solid. I just didn't know if it would be worth it if the car is not a road racer and mostly a daily driver and weekend drag car.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:23 PM

The mustang suspension is completely different. The way ours is designed, the stb won't do much if anything at all. It may also cause problems with actually picking one wheel off of the ground when you turn.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:20 PM

I'll be the 2nd and not the last to say; don't waste your money on the STB right now. If you feel the need to buy one later on, then go ahead. But personally I wouldn't waste my money. It will be the very last thing I buy for my car, and I'm much more into road racing/autocross than drag racing.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:15 AM

I ordered mine to go with all the suspension parts I'm ordering next week. I ordered it from Spohn as Thunderracing doesn't carry the Spohn STB. That being said, it's being installed with Spohn LCA, Pahnard, Adj. Torque Arm, BMR SFC, and Prothane bushings all around to include the front control arm bushings. If for no other reason, I ordered it just so I could complete my suspension. I can't wait to get all this stuff on an drive it.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:20 PM

should i get all my parts adjustable???
Old 07-19-2005, 08:40 PM

anyone??? should i get the LCA's, panhard rod, and torque arm adjustable???
Old 07-19-2005, 10:44 PM

Just to address a few things:

STBs don't do much on our cars because the cornering forces on our cars are taken mainly by the front LCAs and the K-member. 4th gen Camaros do not have struts up front (they have shocks), therefore a strut tower brace won't do much. 3rd gen Camaros have struts, that is why STBs make a huge difference on them.

As far as answering the original poster's questions, you need to give us more information. For example, what is your intended use for the car? Street only? Street/strip? Road-racing/Auto-X? Tell us what you want to do with the car, and we can help you better.

But besides that, good initial suspension mods are:

- Shocks. Stock ones are junk, but what kind you need depends on: a) your budget and b) your intended use for the car.
- Sway bars. Our cars roll a lot with the stock front bar, and a stiffer bar will help a lot with this problem without noticeably affecting ride quality. However, if you are into drag racing, you will probably want to do the opposite and get a bigger rear bar to help with launching.
- Subframe connectors. They are pretty much all good, personally I would go with a triangular one like the SLP unit.
- Rear lower control arms (preferably poly/rod end or rod/rod end combination); adjustable is not necessary.
- Panhard Bar. Get an adjustable one as you might need to re-center your rear later on down the road if you upgrade your wheels or something. Again, the type of bushings used will depend on your intended use. I road-race and prefer rod/rod ended ones due to less deflection.
- LCA relocation brackets, I am kind of divided on. I don't have them and they don't hurt me. Get them if you have the money.

Good luck.

Last edited by Camaro_Maniac63; 07-19-2005 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:40 AM
WOT

Originally Posted by ImNraged
You are the first person I've EVER heard or read say STB's are a waste of money. I had one on my thirdgen and it was a difference of night and day in handling. I just ordered my Spohn for my '96 Z today.
A STB is a waste of money and just dead weight on a 4th gen.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by WOT
A STB is a waste of money and just dead weight on a 4th gen.
After all I said above, I pretty much agree with that now. Sorry for my ignorance, I've always had 3rd gens and this is my first 4th gen. While it was awesome on my 3rd gen, I couldn't tell any difference on my 4th. I'm still glad I got it though, for if nothing else, it completes my suspension.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:05 PM

the car is mostly a street car with a few trips to the track during the year.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:17 PM

And what kind of budget are you on?
Old 07-22-2005, 04:58 PM

I am interested in upgrading my shocks from the stock ones. Want to get some more handling and a little better weight transfer/traction.

What do you recommend for a midrange price also, can you suggest low price option?

Quick Reply: Help getting suspension together