Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Help me choose brake pads AND Rotors!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 01:09 PM

Help me choose brake pads AND Rotors!

I dont want brakes that will squeek nor be too expensive but an improvment over stock since I do race.

I'm only doing the front brakes, my current ones are a little warped, the car only has 38K but I dont know the hisotry so I figured i'd replace them.

At autozone they have these brake pads (which ones should I take?):

Pfc-Carbon-Metalic / Brake Pads $31
Duralast Gold / Brake Pads Semi-metallic pad $29
Morse-Ceramic / Brake Pads "Ceramic friction for quieter performance, Virtually dust - free braking" $37

Rotors:
I got autozone rotors but some cheap pads for my rear brakes and they squeek.

With good pads like the Morse-ceramic and autozone rotors which are about $30 a peice should it be a good setup?
Old 04-23-2007, 03:09 PM

I use the Morse ceramics and they are really dust free, way less than the EBC greenstuff pads I had before. but the EBCs sure did stop alot better though.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:45 PM

With these lower end pads its a trade off, you either get dust and better braking or less dust and less braking.

Pads:
Look into the PBR/Axxis metal master pads or Hawk HPS. Strano carries them and he is a sponsor here. $30 is NOT a sign good pads. They're just stock replacements and as such will have stock performance. I've tried part store pads and they are all weak and fade easily in comparison to actual performance pads.

I'm running the Axxis pads on my daily driver. My rotors are slotted and the wheels are open and they do not dust bad but grip like a mother and don't fade with emergeny or repetitive braking. I'm not talking about track conditions though.

To help with squeal, use the lube and lube all contact points. I like the reddish orange brake lube that comes in the bottle.

Rotors:
Because rotors are a heat sink just get some that weigh more than stock. I've seen a 2.5lb difference between stock and aftermarket stock replacement rotors. You already have some Autozone rotos so just reuse them. I know on the LS1 there is a 2 lb difference between these and stock.

Now here is a little advice that'll make a difference in pedal feel and reduce fade.
CHANGE YOUR FLUID!
Thats right, all of it. Brake fluid has an affinity to water. In other words it "draws in" water. The more water content of the fluid the less temp it can handle (it boils easier), and the easier you're brakes will fade. If you order those pads go ahead and get some ATE Superblue from Strano also. If you want something from the local store try the Valvoline Syntech fluid.

Here is another little bit of info:
Your tire choice will have a nice impact on how quickly you brake also.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 04-23-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:07 AM

thanks a lot for the great infor!
Old 04-24-2007, 07:33 PM

I don't know if you made your decision, but I needed new rotors and pads, and after asking around here, this is what I did:
Autozone Duralast rotors
Advance for the wearever silver front and rear pads.

The car stops on a dime now, and they work great!