Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Help me choose my suspension pieces for street/strip setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:18 PM

Help me choose my suspension pieces for street/strip setup

The car will be driven ~100 miles a week. This is not my daily driver but will drive it a couple of days a week. Motor will be ~450rwhp 383, McCleod single disc, stock 6spd, stock 7.5 with 4.10s for now. I would like to keep this setup more on the composed side, instead of rock hard, race car, rigid.

How do the spherical rod ends feel vs. poly bushing ends?

Chrome Moly vs. regular old steel, what would you pick for more street than strip setup?

I was originally going all Spohn parts before researching a little, so now I'm changing up the game plan a little. Here's what I have thus far, please critique.

Sway Bars: Spohn Sway Bar Kit

Rear Lower Control Arms: Spohn Boxed LCAs
Tubular vs. Boxed, what would you get?

Panhard Rod: Spohn Adjustable Panhard Rod

K-Member:

I was originally going Spohn, then I read where it wasn't really meant for everyday use, so then it was over to UMI. So, it's between UMI regular K-member and the road race K-member. It looks like on the road race version, you lose motor mounts so the motor bolts straight to the K-member.

Front A-Arms:

It's between UMI and Spohn Upper Spohn Lower.
The main issue here is will the Spohn A-arms match up with UMI K-member, or heck is the Spohn K-member good enough for street use?
Would you get adjustable/spherical ends or not?

Shock tower brace:

Spohn

Torque Arm:

Spohn Adjustable

Also, in your opinion what parts are better overall, UMI or Spohn? Or is one company better at one thing than another, or is it 6 in one half dozen another...

Good day...
Old 08-13-2008, 09:12 AM

Call sam strano. He will tell and explain everything to you. I would answer your questions but i dont know where to begin.

If it were me i would stay away from poly bushings. I would only want roded ends in the panhard rod arm and on the rear end side of the lca's. No need to buy a strut tower bar unless you find one for $50 as they are almost useless. I have one and its only on my car half the time. I got it on ebay for $60 shipped.

www.stranoparts.com
Old 08-15-2008, 06:17 PM

Lightbulb

Yeah , you still want your suspension to to have some articulation so get rod ends on at least one end of your panhard bar ,and also your control arms unless you get some J&M control with the 3 piece polyball bushings on both ends.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Are you more interested in handling - e.g. going around curves; or are you looking for optimum 1/4-mile traction?
Old 08-21-2008, 09:47 AM

This will be more of a street car, so set up for handling.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:08 AM

Strano springs, Koni 4/4 shocks( i have them their worth the price), Strano sway bars(35mm hollow and 22mm)

Double adj. roded panhard- Any brand.
UMI 3pt sub frame connectors.
TQ Arm- Ask Strano. Lots of DS debate about long vs. short.

A Arms, K member- Not BMR, their stuff vibes, rattles, etc. A buddy has a entire BMR suspension and is selling the whole front sus. so he can go back to stock.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by slomarao
Strano springs, Koni 4/4 shocks( i have them their worth the price), Strano sway bars(35mm hollow and 22mm)
I have the same and totally transformed the car. One of the best mods ever.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:33 PM

I have rod ends on both sides of my LCA's and PHB. Lets put it this way it makes for a different ride thats for sure.

I don' mind though cause it doesn't see much road time anymore,but just as a heads up it gets rough!

~Jim~
Old 08-25-2008, 09:00 AM

When you get ready for the UMI or Spohn parts let me know, I will make you a deal!!