Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

help me chose panhard bar!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 01:10 AM

Re: help me chose panhard bar!

I'd recommend the umi single adjustable with poly on one end and a rod end on the other, very nice piece. If you do go with the double-adjustable, dual rod end type bar you might want to check out www.slotcarracing.com for a cheap piece that looks pretty well made. I haven't used their bar because it's dual rod end, but I've been tempted by the price. The one that hotpart is listing looks similar in design, and I agree that if you get a double-adjustable you should try not to get one with the adjuster in the middle of the rod.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:10 AM

Re: help me chose panhard bar!

I sell and use UMI's stuff on my car. Panhard bars aren't exactly rocket science, but yet folks mess them up.

First of all, I'd never, not in a million years use an aluminum panhard bar. I've witnessed them bend, and if you think about the fact the lateral load is controlled by a almost 4' long tube it's stands to reason you'd want the strongest material you can have there and aluminum isn't it. I can flex a steel PHB a little bit by pulling on it, what do you think I can do an alumium tube?

Next, if you are even a little serious about minimizing your deflection, you don't ever use a PHB with one or both ends being poly. Poly is stiffer than rubber, but it still deflects. And over time it eggs out in the PHB causing you even less lateral control. If you are doing a PHB simply to adjust the axle, and just cruise around, then a poly bushed one it fine. Otherwise, go double rod-end.

Not all rod-ends are the same. There are $5 rattlers, and $30 teflon lined, 3 piece ones.

You can't beat, IMHO $169 for a double rod-ended PHB that used GOOD ends, and is chrome-moly (lighter, but comparable strength to mild steel).