Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Help me hook...at least a little.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 10:18 PM

Help me hook...at least a little.

First of, full bolt ons+hotcam. T-56 with 3.23's.
Bone stock suspension.

Stock size Kumho's with about 40%left.

This is just getting silly, anytime I get on the car at all around town, it will just spin all day.

I have plans to install some 17X9" rims with 275 series street tires, and a set of 3.73 or 4.11 gears next month. Will LCA's or relocation brackets help out any with a stock ride height car? What about a torque arm? Will one of the cheaper edelbrock stlye ones do any good, or do I need to spring for the tunnel mount $$ unit?

<---Suspension newb. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2006, 06:00 AM

Re: Help me hook...at least a little.

I think better tires are your best bet. So far, I have LCAs, a tubular panhard rod, a crossmember mounted adj. torque arm, a slightly larger rear sway bar, QA1 adj. rear shocks, and subframe connectors and the car still spins through first, the rear breaks loose on the 1-2 shift, and the car spins some more in second. I am driving on hard, crappy street tires also so obviously all the suspension mods. in the world will not help me unless I put on some better rubber. All of those suspension mods. did help me A LITTLE, but some sticky tires will seal the deal.

Last edited by 2000GTP; 06-16-2006 at 06:03 AM.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:57 AM

Try taking some psi out of the rear tires. Like 2000GTP said sticky tires are the best way to make a car hook. Think about it, they are the only part of the car that touch the ground.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:00 AM

A nice set of 275 40 R17 M/T DRs would help, but I had used 275 40 R17s, and switched to a 16" version and it helped dramatically to have more sidewall, and have since switched to 15" Bogarts...I would look into getting LCAs, PHB, SFCs, and a good tunnel brace mounted TA. An aftermarket trans mounted TA puts lots of stress on the tail shaft of the trans (mine split in half!)...I use Hotchkis and Spohn stuff, UMI is also supposed to be good and not too much $$$

I still have stock springs and Decarbon shocks, too...

--Alan
Old 06-16-2006, 10:25 AM

Which Kumho's? If its anything but thier racing tires or the MX you're SOL.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:03 PM

Relocation brackets will help you with stock ride hieght. As with everything you get what you pay for. If your going to the track i would say get the BMR extreme torque arm. I dont personally like the edlebrock stuff but that is personal preferance. Spohn also makes some great stuff. Regardless getting ride of the stock POS will help a great deal. Also while your at it throw in new LCAs. If you what to finish up the package get some Compitition engineering adjustable rear shocks. If the car doesnt hook then with good rubber get somone else to drive it haha.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:13 PM

definatly start with 3 things

tires
lca
relocation brackets

there are MANY people running FAST with stock torque arms. you could go for the $15 poly torque arm mount to stiffen up the stock setup.

just the lca and bushing made a huge improvement in my traction
Old 06-16-2006, 04:07 PM

Birdman, Im in the same boat as u. You have more hp with the hotcam but I have a larger gear(3.89) and cant hook for ****. Im lookin at going with a few UMI suspension parts. I'll probablly get the lca & phr package and their tunnel brace torque arm. If I buy all that and still dont hook...theres only one more option, MT drs.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:45 AM

Those with Spohn TA....is your arm noisey? I put lower control arms and panhard rod as well as the torque arm which is the tunnel mounted long tube version and it transmits every sound thru the floor pans. It helped with traction but I wish I had the stock torque arm and stickier tire now. I hate the noises when the car hits gears.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:55 AM

All the suspension work in the world won't help you if you have chitty tires.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by quickmedic1
Those with Spohn TA....is your arm noisey? I put lower control arms and panhard rod as well as the torque arm which is the tunnel mounted long tube version and it transmits every sound thru the floor pans. It helped with traction but I wish I had the stock torque arm and stickier tire now. I hate the noises when the car hits gears.
I can hear it very slightly, but nothing overbearing. Now that the exhaust cutout is open, I can't hear it at all.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:28 PM

I can't hear mine over my rod ended LCAs

--Alan
Old 06-17-2006, 10:20 PM

Must just be me and PA roads. Mine is noisey enough I am going to remove and sell it if I cant quiet it down some how.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by quickmedic1
I have one and I don't like it. Not only that, but I can't get the poly mount for it because it is not supported any more after only a few years, and it wasn't built correctly (and in my opinion not designed correctly for lateral alignment), either - the holes in the back where the adj rods bolt to the rear end bracket were off by enough that whoever put it together must have used a hammer or impactor. I do like the tunnel brace and driveshaft loop integration though - that part of it I would like to keep. I want to replace the rest of it or just rebuild it the way it should have been in the first place.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
I have one and I don't like it. Not only that, but I can't get the poly mount for it because it is not supported any more after only a few years, and it wasn't built correctly (and in my opinion not designed correctly for lateral alignment), either - the holes in the back where the adj rods bolt to the rear end bracket were off by enough that whoever put it together must have used a hammer or impactor. I do like the tunnel brace and driveshaft loop integration though - that part of it I would like to keep. I want to replace the rest of it or just rebuild it the way it should have been in the first place.

What brand do you have? My biggest issue with the Spohn is I hate the noise that gets transferred thru the floor. Every bump, every shift just pisses me off! I know everything is a compromise but I feel like I am turning my car into a piece of junk every time I hear this thing.

Quick Reply: Help me hook...at least a little.