Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

HELP... People with Rear QA1 shocks inside!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 04:42 PM

HELP... People with Rear QA1 shocks inside!

Ok, finally got around to putting these into my car, install was pretty easy, followed injuneer's install very well except for the part of being able to put a wrench on the top of the QA1's from underneath the car to really tighten the nut on the inside of the car since i didnt pull the whole rearend out.

Anyways, I take it out for a spin afterwards and had the shocks set to 5 clicks (like Injuneers directions said to start) and now on the smoothest of roads, the car feels like it is bouncing in the back... is setting 5 too soft or too firm? The only other suspension I have is Lakewood LCA's

Anybody have input on this? Or want to let me know what their shocks are set to? The ride is not all that comfortable when it is constantly bouncing like this... any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 06-25-2006, 04:51 PM

Re: HELP... People with Rear QA1 shocks inside!

Yeah, 5 is pretty stiff for the street, that is what I started on when I first installed them and I got the same bouncing effect. I have them set on 1 now and it is alot more tolerable. The QA1s aren't really meant for street comfort.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:24 PM

oh wow... set to 1? That is really soft, I'll have to try that.

It did seem to be A LOT more responsive under heavy throttle, like it just squatted and stayed put.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:18 PM

What's the setting reccomended for track use?
Old 06-25-2006, 09:34 PM
Administrator

I had mine initially with Eibach Pro-Kit springs, and the ride was HORRIBLE! The back end had a constant up and down "chop" like a slammed S10 riding on its solid rear axle. I started in the 5 or 6 range, and it was choppy. To get rid of the chop, I dropped it lower.... 2 or 3, but then the shocks really weren't controlling the rear end properly.

After swapping to the Eibach Drag Launch springs in the back, the chop went away. I normally run them at 5 or 6 at the track (I do NOT want "squat") and don't bother readjusting them for the street.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:53 PM

I just installed mine aswell.... QA1's and i had it set on 4 and it was real bouncy and on 8 its bouncy too

can anyone help with that or what i should do?
Old 06-26-2006, 07:33 AM

Injuneer, so do you just leave them at 5 or 6 and deal with the bouncing then?

What do you mean at setting 1, 2, or 3 they arent really "controlling" the rear end?
Old 06-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Administrator

I don't have any more "bounce" with my Drag Launch springs. It was only the Pro-Kit springs that didn't seem to like the QA1 shocks.

When you soften the shock, you are reducing the resistance to compression. That's good for a drag application, IF you want the rear end to squat. But for road use, the back end is going to be too loose, flopping up and down even more. Instead of the "chop" that I had with the Pro-Kits, loosening up the shocks left the back end "floating".... not sure how to describe it any other way.

But with current setup, the ride is not "bouncy". And I also don't use the car the way I used to on the street..... solid rods end LCA's and TA, solid rod end end links on a 1-5/16" solid chrome moly "drag style" sway bar, and a few other things are not conducive to high speed cornering. Goes real nice in a straight line though....
Old 06-26-2006, 11:42 AM

well this sucks... LOL, i dont know whether to just deal with the chopping or leave it loose for the street. I can see what you mean that the rearend is "floating" when set to the softer settings...

Apparently when I am ready to do new springs, I will have to go with some from QA1 to compliment the shock rather than the eibachs.

So when at the track, the shocks should be more on the softer side (settings 1-6ish) rather than stiffer (7-12)???
Old 06-26-2006, 12:03 PM

What springs do QA1 sell for the rear?
Old 06-26-2006, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
What springs do QA1 sell for the rear?
Unless you get the QA1 coilovers, there are not seperate QA1 springs for the rear.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:49 PM

oh, i thought Sean from Speed Engineering mentioned that they do have shocks for the QA1's on the rear. I guess I was mistaken.

So apparently I will have to get drag springs in order to make this permanently go away so I can use the other settings? That kinda sucks... wish I would have known this prior to purchase...

Last edited by tfs95z28; 06-26-2006 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by tfs95z28
oh, i thought Sean from Speed Engineering mentioned that they do have shocks for the QA1's on the rear. I guess I was mistaken.

So apparently I will have to get drag springs in order to make this permanently go away so I can use the other settings? That kinda sucks... wish I would have known this prior to purchase...
Maybe you were thinking of the fronts, they sell three different rates of springs for those.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:37 PM

What are the spring options for the rear? Injuneer mentioned the drag springs, Ive heard of stock being used and Ive heard of Global west being used. What are some other options? I'm going to go with stock until I can get some ebiches.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
What are the spring options for the rear? Injuneer mentioned the drag springs, Ive heard of stock being used and Ive heard of Global west being used. What are some other options? I'm going to go with stock until I can get some ebiches.
I'm wondering the same thing as you, the only options I know of are either stock, which I have now, or the Eibach Drag Springs.

Quick Reply: HELP... People with Rear QA1 shocks inside!