Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Help with suspension set up

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 01:34 PM

Help with suspension set up

I have decided to spend a little money this summer improving my Z28's cornering capabilities. I have been researching set ups for quite sometime now and only have 2 stipulations. One is that I dont want to lower my car very much, if any at all. The other stipulation is that I dont want to break the bank. I want the most bang for my buck, trying to not spend more than $500.

I was thinking about simply upgrading to a 35mm front swaybar and replacing the shocks. My questions regarding this set up would be what are some other quality shocks out there besides the Bilsteins? I know SLP has their version, which are only $200 for all 4, would those work well with stock springs? I am just not thrilled about the idea of spending $400 on shocks alone.

Second, how would the stock spring/35mm sway bar set up compare to doing the SLP shock spring upgrade. I know these lower the car about .75" and the shocks are valved to match the springrates. Also, if I chose this set up, I would get the matching 32mm swaybar and stilll come in under budget. It seems like the best overall deal, but if the stock springs + shocks and 35mm sway bar performs better, I would choose them. I have also read about the front of the car sitting higher than the rear with the SLP springs. Is this with every set? How many coils would need to be cut to even out the look of the car?

Lastly, I can pick up a set of used 1LE springs for pretty cheap. If I picked them up, I am thinking about getting a nice set of shocks and then a 32mm front sway bar. This is under the assumption that the stiffer spring rate will help eliminate body roll and thus the 32mm sway would be sufficient over the larger 35mm. I'm guessing that the downside to this set up would be a bit rougher ride quality.

I am just having trouble choosing which set up is best. Stiffer springs with the 32mm sway or 35mm sway with the stock springs. Then there's the SLP set up which I'm leaning towards. I've done lots of searching, but still havent foudn any conclusive answers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-29-2004, 10:36 PM

Stiff Springs-Just ordered them

I am doing a 1LE conversion on my 95 LT1 M6.

I ordered the stiffer 1LE springs for the front and rear. 32mm front swaybar. Per '96 1LE specs I am keeping the 19mm rear bar. So I will know soon if this was a good idea.

Sway bars will not increase front to back spring rate, only side to side.

Stiffer front and rear springs will reduce front end lift under acceleration and dive under braking. Good for a road race setup not good for drag racing due to decreased wieght transfer.

That seems to be the main difference in the two approches.

You are right that in corners spring rates will combine making both changes act together.

I feel, but don't know for a fact, that springs will act more quickly and directly than sway bars. I am hoping that the stiffer springs will give a more lively feel to the car. I think that sway bars will have the samw affect but it will take them longer to react to the cars motion and give a musher feel than the springs.

I am also making an assumption that GM did more testing than most of the aftermarket guys. So I am going with the full 1LE with DA Koni's and all stiffer bushings in all A arms, trailing arms and panhard rod. I hope the parts they send me are what I ordered and not some softer version of the bushings.

I am doing this inpart because the front end can't be aligned properly anymore. So something is bent or worn beyond the specs. Rather than replace with stock parts, I am going to 1LE parts that are the same basic price. The koni's are high but I just wanted them, first class for a change. I could post the part numbers but I am going to wait until I see if the prices are for real and if the parts look right.

In a few weeks I will hopefuly have the parts and some idea about how good of an idea this was. I may just ruin the ride of my car for no good reason, or I will have a great handling sleeper of a car.

Good Luck, I hope my ramblings help.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:07 AM

in regards to your decision about the sway bar size, i believe that you should get the 35mm front bar regardless of what shocks/springs you go with. whether or not you upgrade your springs, the 35mm bar is the best choice for handling.

the diff. between stock springs and whatever aftermarket springs you might get would not compensate for the difference between a 32mm and a 35mm swaybar. it is my thought that the 35mm bar (hollow or solid) is THE front swaybar for our cars.

i've heard that stock springs will work fine with a set of bilstein hd's, although getting a set of 1le springs wouldn't hurt.

i don't know how slp's bilsteins compare to regular hd's.

i've heard the same about the slp springs, and frankly i wouldn't buy those springs if my front end is gonna sit higher, and i'm not a big fan of cutting coils. i'd rather have a set of 1le's or eibach pro kit....but i believe the pro kit will lower the car more than you would like.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:37 AM

You won't see the full benifits of your shocks untill you do SFC's. They eliminate body flex so that the shocks/springs can do their job. The sway bar is an excellent choice. I love mine. I have a 32mm solid chromoly bar. Check to see what material the 35mm is. If it is just carbon steel, you would be better off with the 32mm chromoly. And the 32 would save you some weight and do just as good (of course assuming the 35mm is carbon steel).
Old 06-30-2004, 04:03 PM

although a 35mm hollow bar will weigh somewhere around a 32mm solid bar (i believe)...
Old 06-30-2004, 06:25 PM

the SLP Blisteins are weaker valved than the regular HD's, they were more concerned about customer comfort than suspension control
Buy your Bilsteins from Sam Strano, he can valve them to your specific needs and can give you some good advice on spring/shock/bar setup combos