Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

How is the C5 setup better than the LS1 brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 08:42 PM
WOT

Re: How is the C5 setup better than the LS1 brakes?

Originally Posted by The Highlander
they were saying all being equal...

yes the pressure cast is a huge difference in stiffness and the additional fins provide more caliper cooling that retard the fluid boiling... Now i beg to disagree that the c5 are a waste.... as a matter of fact.. the c5 come short when running at higher speeds that you normally don't see on auto-x or on short tracks...

Anyways... i make them fade everytime i use them

BTW i also have a b4c 94.

Well the pads come into play as well-which I neglected to mention. I should mention I'm more tolerant of nasty pads than most people. I run Hawk HP+ (not the same as hps) which dust heavily but stop really well. That's has a lot to do with my satisfaction from LS1 brakes.

Cool-another B4C owner!
Old 10-07-2004, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by The Highlander
Anyways... i make them fade everytime i use them
If you make the C5 brakes fade every time you use them, you are doing something wrong. Our local track is notoriously hard on brakes, and I never had the brakes on my Z06 fade, nor have the LS1 brakes I put on my Firehawk ever had a problem. Of course, I'm using actuall race pads, which will make a huge difference. If you are using a street pad (even if it's an aggressive street pad) then you are leaving a lot of braking potential on the table.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:32 AM

What do you call race pad?? i have the hawks hp+

anyways.. stopping from 150-100 (while racing with my pops) 2 or 3 times in a row will make quite a few brakes fade
Old 10-07-2004, 08:45 AM

I wouldn't really call the HP+ a true race pad, but rather more of a extreme use street or light track duty pad. Even Hawk's website list it under the street pad section. Somewhat equivalent to the Performance Friction Z rated pads. Althouth I can't find any specs on their website, since their race pads start at 100-900 degrees, I would guess that the HP+ has a similar or slightly lower heat range.

When I say race pad, I mean something like the Carbotech XP9/XP10 pads.
http://www.carbotecheng.com/prod-ct-compounds.htm
By comparison, the temp range on these goes over 1400 degrees on the XP9, and over 1600 on the XP10. Or, if you want to stick with Hawk, look at the HT10, HT14, or HT15. I'm not sure which of those they make for the LS1 or C5 brakes, but they have similar specs (300-1600 degrees) to the Carbotech XP pads.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:13 PM

I have been following this thread, and as usual, most bases were being covered and I saw no need to chime in. Since it was requested though, I will.

Z95m6, you ask if there is any performance advantage to C5 brakes. There is no advantage if you are not going to use it. If you described how you use or plan to use your car, then we could give useful recommendations or comparisons for you. There is no advantage to having 500 hp if you NEVER use more than 100 hp.

If you want additional justification for adding C5 brakes, besides their looks, then I need to know how you will use them. In normal street driving, there will be no advantage in stopping distance if all other variables remain constant, i.e. same pad compound, same tires. Actually, because you will shift more braking to the front axle because of the increased lever arm (larger diameter rotor), your braking distances could increase slightly since you would be underutilizing your rear tires and could also invoke ABS sooner. In other words, you will slightly alter the front-to-rear brake balance of your car. (Some of the increased front bias is compensated for by the smaller diameter C5 caliper pistons) You are incorrect in saying that the C5 caliper isn’t oversized for the larger diameter rotors. It is; but more importantly, the pad abutment bracket has a larger radius for the larger radiused C5 pads.

If you will be road racing with your car, then some of the advantages of the C5 setup over the LS1 have been posted already, and I will add some to the list:
Stiffer caliper (more resistant to initial and long-term deflection/fatigue)
Less pad taper because of less caliper spread (deflection)
10% larger brake pad area (than LS1 pad) which means longer lived, cooler running pads
Heavier rotor (can absorb more heat, so will reach lower instantaneous peak temperature)
Curved vane rotor (can dissipate heat much quicker than LS1 rotor)
More rotor surface area (reaches lower peak temps, and quicker heat dissipation)
Less expensive replacement rotors
Larger selection of racing pads

There is no real advantage to the increased lever arm in racing, since you can lock up the brakes with either system, if the pads are not fading. If anything, the increased proportion of front axle braking could lead to the front pads fading slightly sooner since the rears are doing less work. Of course, since you would be using racing pads and cooling ducting, that problem would be minimized or eliminated. In other words, in racing, all other variables do not remain constant. You modify multiple systems in order to create a synergism. In this application, the C5 brakes are a performance advantage over LT1 or LS1 brakes, in addition to the cosmetic enhancement you mentioned. I would have other/additional comments if you had the LS1 ABS system.

Highlander, I have either 3 or 4 words for you: “brake cooling ducting” or “better brake cooling ducting”.

Eff, you are correct. It will require more work to slow the increased mass. That slight disadvantage is more than offset by the gains listed above. But, it would still require more work whether or not you had a larger caliper. If you just meant pedal effort, then no; the increased lever arm will much more than compensate for the increased mass.

Evan, I really disagree with your assessment of Hallett being hard on brakes. I have raced there many times and on a 1-to-10 scale, with 10 requiring the most from brakes, I would rate Hallett a 2 or 3. That said, I really enjoy Hallett and would attend a FRRAX event there even though it is 850 miles from my home (another thread, another board).
Old 10-07-2004, 03:05 PM

Yeah that is next... fog lights have been removed...
Old 10-07-2004, 05:11 PM

I have a 94 Z28 and I want to upgrade my calipers (front and back) to the stock red 2004 Z06 calipers. I already have the stock Z06 rims and tires so I do have the room to upgrade the calipers and rotors. The thing I need to know is what type of modifications do I need to do to the caliper hangers or anything else that needs to be modified? Is there some type of kit that I can buy to adapt the Z06 calipers to the my Z28? I would appreciate any info that you can pass on to me. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:19 PM

Well mr. lateapex did some awesome sets... i think he is not making htem anymore.. i do have an additional set once i knew he was shutting down... anyways.. there is another guy that makes a bracket for the c5.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by lateapex
If you want additional justification for adding C5 brakes, besides their looks, then I need to know how you will use them. In normal street driving, there will be no advantage in stopping distance if all other variables remain constant, i.e. same pad compound, same tires.
Thanks lateapex. Thats what i wanted to know. It may sound like "rice" but i hate seeing those dinky LS1 rotors in my 18in wheels and i would love to have a nice big brake setup filling it up. All i do is street driving so i will never get any of the advantages of the C5 setup. I was thinking about upgrading to the C5 setup but its hard to justify that extra cost for no real benefit i'll see (except for looks). If you guys said it greatly increases braking over the LS1 setup in street driving then i would probably make this mod a high priority, but i guess it's just a "maybe i have to do mod" now.