Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

How close are pads to rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 07:31 PM

How close are pads to rotors?

I've been under lots of cars over the years but have always shyed away from brakes. Yesterday I took the front wheels of my Formula off to try and diagnose a loose stearing problem and pulsing brakes.

I think the loose steering is my steering gear box and the pulsing is probably warped front rotors.

As I looked at the pads I could see there was plenty of pad left, but they looked like they were just thousands of an inch from the rotor, or maybe even touching. Is this normal?

I can't seem to find any pics from the top down on a rotor to compare, and no mention of this question in a search. I'm not feeling any binding in driving, no overheating of pads/rotors on the road, brake proportion seems normal and pulling is random which I attest to the loose gear box.

Just wondering what the "normal" rotor to pad clearance is and if there is a way to test that mine are in spec.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 05-28-2005, 07:33 PM

Re: How close are pads to rotors?

when they are new its about 1/4 inch. if yours are so close they are about worn out.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:34 PM

I don't agree with the above post. My brake pads just barely touch the rotor. Just enough so that you can hear it when you turn the wheel. I asked the very same question you are asking before on this site and the response i got was that it was normal. I don't think it is possible to have 1/4" clearance between the rotor and the pad.
On a side note, what are you doing to try to remedy your loose steering?
Old 05-28-2005, 09:44 PM

sorry i thought he meant the metal part of the pad
Old 05-29-2005, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by lastlaf
I don't agree with the above post. My brake pads just barely touch the rotor. Just enough so that you can hear it when you turn the wheel. I asked the very same question you are asking before on this site and the response i got was that it was normal. I don't think it is possible to have 1/4" clearance between the rotor and the pad.
On a side note, what are you doing to try to remedy your loose steering?
Yes, I think he was referring to the thickness of the pad itself, which in my case is still pretty good. Sounds like the small clearance I am seeing is normal and since I am not getting any other strange symptoms (overheating components, leaks, squeals, etc.) I won't worry about it right now.

As far as my steering goes, I think I nee to replace the rack. I have another post going about that so you may wat to check it out. Basically I've inspected the entire linkage and it looks good with the exception of the slack. When I move the rotor side to side (3-9), I can move the entire linkage right back to the steering wheel which moves slightly left to right.

The tie rod ends are intact, although the sway bar bushings are worn a bit I don't think they would have that effect on the linkage.

Someone suggested I have someone turn the wheel while I check the rack but I haven't had a chance to do that in the last couple days. I'll probably be able to check that today and see.