Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

How come no one has ever made a rear strut tower brace???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 03:00 PM

Re: How come no one has ever made a rear strut tower brace???

Originally Posted by Chewbacca
Get off your high horse.

That "iron bar" is of course the steering knuckle. I felt it's intended role is fairly obvious and needed no explanation. But since you asked...

How much torsional loading do you think the shock tower is really going to see after the road forces are transmitted upward through the "iron bar", into a ball joint, a 90° turn into the upper arm, into the arm bushings, and then into the upper arm mount which is only sandwiched between the upper fender area and the shock mount?

A 3rd gen would absolutely benefit from a STB due to the more direct loading of the strut mount area as well as their less robust body structures.

We can agree to disagree but I don't appreciate your condescending tone. Years ago, when I didn't know any better, I bought a lot of parts for my car that didn't do a damn thing for me. Those parts are all gone now. Experience and soliciting better advice has taught me a few things.

**EDIT** I may have come across as a bit arrogant, making me guilty of the same thing I accused you of. That was not my intent.

I simply take issue with real world data being dismissed out of hand in favor of internet anecdotal evidence.

Get off your high horse.

That "iron bar" is of course the steering knuckle. I felt it's intended role is fairly obvious and needed no explanation. But since you asked...

How much torsional loading do you think the shock tower is really going to see after the road forces are transmitted upward through the "iron bar", into a ball joint, a 90° turn into the upper arm, into the arm bushings, and then into the upper arm mount which is only sandwiched between the upper fender area and the shock mount?
No torsional loading exists in the suspension, a STB will be loaded in compression or tension.

Turns and bushings will not affect the total load going into the UCA. Any force created at the front wheel is canceled by reactions at the UCA and LCA.
So how much load do I expect to see, exactly the amount that went in, its called statics.

For your information the friction force created by clamping something with bolts can easily exceed the shear strength of the bolts.

The steering knuckle has an arm about the dia of your thumb that does the steering. The rest of the knuckle supports the hub and transfers loads to the UCA and LCA. If these loads were trival there would not be a large hunk of iron running to the UCA.

Get off your high horse.
I simply take issue with real world data being dismissed out of hand in favor of internet anecdotal evidence.
You are the only one presenting anecdotal evidence, perhaps you need to look that word up.

I am analyzing the suspension and trying to learn from it. You are the one giving examples, I.E. anecdotes.

I was not being condecending, perhaps you were being insecure.

Since the next step is to break into name calling, which you have already started with the, "High Horse" comment. I will stop posting on this thread.

Z28
Old 08-14-2005, 03:12 PM

You know full well that I am referring to a torsional load with regard to the chassis structure.

anecdotal

an·ec·dot·al

adjective

Definitions:

1. based on anecdotes or hearsay: consisting of or based on secondhand accounts rather than firsthand knowledge or experience or scientific investigation
Thank you. I think I used the term correctly.

Please don't take this conversation personally and please don't use your ability to see into the future with regard to my future comments as an excuse to back out of a debate.

If you wish to leave that's fine, but don't shift the causality onto me.

Having said that, I think that I have beaten this horse long enough and will now let it go.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:57 PM

Anyone know of any professional suspension builders that could chime in? Maybe Mr. Strano?
Old 08-14-2005, 06:17 PM

Since you asked and these links have nothing to do with myself...

READ THIS

AND THIS