Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

How do find out EXACTLY what BRAND & MODEL Brakes I have??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:42 PM

How do find out EXACTLY what BRAND & MODEL Brakes I have??

I recently got my ENTIRE brake system redone and I would like to know EXACTLY what BRAND and MODEL # Brake calipers, Rotors, and Brake disc shoes I have..

Obviously I would ask the mechanic but I SERIOUSLY feel $160 for 2 brake pads is WAYYYY OVERCHARGED!! and I now I obviously don't believe a word they say.

There appears to be codes on the edge of the calipers that I can see from outside.. Are those just casting #'s? or can you somehow decode them? There has got to be a way to find out exactly what a person has on their car...

Here are pics of the rear brakes from outside the car. I don't trust that the shop put CHEAP ones on and charged me 3X's more than what I can get Monroe Ceramic 3 year warranty ones for more than 1/2 the price!

I want to know exactly what they put on!

http://www.camarosource.ca/temp_files/brakes/

Thanks.

Last edited by camarosource; 03-30-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:57 AM

my god take the wheel off so we can get a look at the whole works
Old 04-01-2008, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by 8cylinders>4
my god take the wheel off so we can get a look at the whole works
The idiots at the shop ALSO didn't give back my wheel locks so I could not take the wheels off the car at that time.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:57 AM

Rebuilt calipers are generally just stock calipers that are rebuilt. That's probably what you have. Pads will be very hard to determine as there is little to go by. You'll be lucky to figure it out.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:20 PM

It seems like your best bet is to ask the shop what they installed onto your car. Maybe they have some invoice on where they bought the parts from.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:53 PM

Smile

it may be time to learn how to work on your car. u could have bought all the parts at any lordco for less than half of what you paid, plus a sweet tool set, spent saterday and sunday (way more than enough time but when ur learning/doing it for te first time u want more than enough time) working on it and still had money left over for a few gas tanks full of gas. next time try thirdgen.org...lots of great info there on how to do just about anything. and as for the price of ur parts (saw on camaro source) what u paid is about right with brake pads the one set does all 4 pads on front or back. calipers are always alot of money and they are almost always rebuilt and cleaned to look new. rotors are dirt cheap usually but because of the fronts needing the bearing repacked they are more expensive(also why u needind the "brake" seals...real name is axel seal. alignment is about the right price as my shop. centerlink is always expensive, although they ripped u off on the labour with that. 4 bolts hold it on, takes mabey 30 mins to do on a bad day. looks like they charged u for over an hour to do it...BS. but as for the labour on the brakes is average.

i did calipers pads rotors front and rear and all 4 shocks on my moms jetta for $1050. and 4 hours of my time.

basically either learn how to do basic stuff like that on ur own car or u will pay more than u needed to at a shop. or find some mechanically inclined friends.

also they should have flushed the brake fluid all out and put new fluid in. especially when ur putting new calipers on.

and u work at canadian tire????? why didnt u get it done there? if u did get it done there they shouldnt have charged full price for everything!

Last edited by 83firebird420; 04-01-2008 at 09:01 PM.