Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

How to measure voltage at ABS sensor wire?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 09:58 AM

How to measure voltage at ABS sensor wire?

I've got the ABS light on and was wondering how to check the voltage or current at each of the 3 ABS sensors on my '95 TA with a volt/amp meter?
What voltage or current am I looking for for proper operation?
Sensor unplugged or not?
Key on / off etc...

Basically what is the procedure for doing this?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2006, 05:33 PM

well, the wheel speed sensors themselves produce ac voltage, so keep that in mind if you test those (good idea to test those when the abs light is on). otherwise, just stick you meter lead into the back of the plug and shove it in the weatherpack easily. as far as specs, you'd have to look in a manual. to look and see if a sensor is getting pcm v ref, its easiest to leave it plugged in and backprobe it. A lot of common sensors recieve a 5 volt referance from the pcm to ensure operations. other sensors willl get 12 volts from the system. i'm sure if you posted your results, others could help you with specs. i can get you specs monday, but all my books are in the shop
Old 12-03-2006, 02:25 PM

Well, the fronts both have 4v going to them...the rear has 0v. There no metal shavings or anything on the rear sensor, I pulled it.I'm guessing the rear sensor works differently than the fronts??

I suspected the pass side headers burning into the wires, I removed the headers a month or so ago, found a burn spot in the wire and fixed it..wrapped the headers and the wires so it wouldn't happen again and the ABS light stayed on..
So thinking that maybe that wire as still bad, I spliced in a jumper wire and ran it around over the fender as a test...but light still on so I solder the wires back together.
I guess I'll take it to a brake shop this week and see if they can pull the codes and then go from there if I let them do the work or not...

Last edited by 2QUIK6; 12-03-2006 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:07 PM

I took it up to the brake shop this morning, they pulled the ABS code and it was a faulty rear sensor...they checked the wiring and the reference signal was not making it to/from the rear sensor...sensor was ok, but the wiring harness from the sensor to the relay plug right in front of the axle was bad somewhere... so I guess I'll figure out if its the wire or the harness plug thats bad.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:27 PM

Shop could not locate a new harness so I picked the car up unfixed but they told me where the problem was if I could find a harness...
Found the problem...the harness between the harness plug and the sensor somehow got pinched. There was a buldge in the insulation so I cut it back carefully and found both wires severed.... soldered them back together and now the brakes work fine and no ABS light!!
Old 12-12-2006, 11:32 AM

make sure you put something to cover the wires other than black tape, i use liquid tape and heat shrink wrap. make sure the wires were twisted like factory or you may get a light that will drive you nut because everything looks good but is picking up interference