Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

How much can suspension help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 03:06 PM

How much can suspension help?

I am fairley new to car performance/handling, I always been more car audio, so help me out a littel please.

I have a bone stock 94 Firehawk right now, my question is how much of a difference does sub-frame connectors, new shocks and springs, and w.e else there is make? Does it improve times, or just help better on courses? Also what would be the best suspension area to upgrade first?
Old 11-07-2006, 03:09 PM

When I first got my car, some of the first mods I did were poly ended lower control arms, poly ended panhard rod, crossmember mounted torque arm, and adjustable rear shocks. These mods. did make a good improvement in the overall handling of the car and if I have a good set of tires in the rear, I'm sure they will help at the track as well. However, the subframe connectors made a huge difference on my car and I couldn't be more pleased with the money I spent on them.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:09 PM

you could easily knock of a second with a good suspension setup and tires.

more realisticly though, for a street car you're looking somewhere closer to a half second.

i wish the first thing i did to my car was subframes. then i would have made my own PHR and LCA out of aluminum bar stock, and got a new torque arm next. after i had all these i'd get new shocks/springs and sway bars from sam (he has the custom revalved bilsteins and his own sway bar). after all these mods i'd go with the more expensive mods like rear, tranny, bore/stroke or 'charge/nos. ECM reprogramming or heads/cam package
Old 11-07-2006, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by the727kid
I am fairley new to car performance/handling, I always been more car audio, so help me out a littel please.

I have a bone stock 94 Firehawk right now, my question is how much of a difference does sub-frame connectors, new shocks and springs, and w.e else there is make? Does it improve times, or just help better on courses? Also what would be the best suspension area to upgrade first?
What kind of driving do you want to do? An optimum drag racing suspension is completely different from a canyon carving suspension. The term "handling" usually refers to canyon carving. Sam Strano is a F-Body suspension expert. Give him a call (stranoparts.com) and tell him what kind of driving you want to do. He'll probably point you to a good set of shocks, springs and sway bars.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:42 PM

It will be prob mostly drag, the car won't be driven too often. I doubt it will ever see some type of road course lol.