Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

How to remove brake hoses

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 08:25 AM
nfa

How to remove brake hoses

This sounds retarded, but how do you change the front brake hoses? I have heard many horror stories about rounding off the nut so I want to make sure I do it right. I understand that I need to take the clip off at the bracket, then there is a 10mm bolt that I put my flare wrench on. Do I need to put another wrench on there as well? So am I turning the actual hose or is this a fitting that is connected to the hard line?? Do I need to apply heat if it is rusted?

Sorry for the simpleton question!
Old 06-15-2006, 09:16 AM

Re: How to remove brake hoses

Make sure you use the correct flare nut wrench.

Also spray some PB blaster to help break it loose, I like to let it soak in then blow off any excess with compressed air befor cracking it loose.

Also if its super tight, you can use vice grips on the end of the wrench to put additional clamping pressure on the fitting to avoid rounding off the head.

As a last resort, use a of good quality vice grip directly on the fitting. make sure you hold the line securely.

From time to time every couple of years I li9ke to simply crack the fittings loose and then tighten them back to avoid frozen fittings.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:31 AM
nfa

Thanks for the tips!!! So am I turning the nut that is attached to the hard line or the rubber hose itself?

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Make sure you use the correct flare nut wrench.

Also spray some PB blaster to help break it loose, I like to let it soak in then blow off any excess with compressed air befor cracking it loose.

Also if its super tight, you can use vice grips on the end of the wrench to put additional clamping pressure on the fitting to avoid rounding off the head.

As a last resort, use a of good quality vice grip directly on the fitting. make sure you hold the line securely.

From time to time every couple of years I li9ke to simply crack the fittings loose and then tighten them back to avoid frozen fittings.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:35 AM

the rubber hose connects to your caliper and to your hardline

at the caliper you just remove the banjo bolt, nice and simple

at the hard line, DEFINATELY use a flare nut wrench
spray it down with a penetrating oil 10 minutes before you even try

the hardline always has some bracket to hold it against the frame and keep it from twisting as you tighten the fitting, use this to your advantage so you dont need 2 or 3 wrenches for one nut

when putting the fitting on the new line, start threading it by hand, and thread as far as you can by hand, that way you couldnt possibly strip your threads