Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

how to remove lower a-arm on 2002 SS???

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 08:53 AM

how to remove lower a-arm on 2002 SS???

Sorry - I searched and searched and didn't find my answer.

While replacing my shocks, I figured why not replace the bushings while everything is apart too? Well since I had the upper a-arm taken off, i did those bushings - that was easy. Now the lower a-arm is another story. How do you get that off???

The front bolt on the lower a-arm hits the rubber boot on the steering rack. Do you need to remove the whole steering rack to get that dang thing out? Then the vertical bolt on the rear mount doesn't go high enough. I tried getting it out every which way, but no dice. The only thing that would seem to help is taking apart the k-member but that can't be the solution, so what is?

Also, when I put the bolts back together, I can see the imprint in the metal from where it was before I loosened it. I could not for the life of me get the bolts back in the exact same place. Time to get my alignment done?

Thanks!

Jim
Old 04-21-2007, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Did you try turning the steering wheel to move the boot away from the line of the bolt?

I don't recall a problem with the vertical bolt, and I rebuilt my entire front end, including ES poly bushings for the lower A-arm.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Did you try turning the steering wheel to move the boot away from the line of the bolt?

I don't recall a problem with the vertical bolt, and I rebuilt my entire front end, including ES poly bushings for the lower A-arm.
No, I didnt try that and I'm embarrased to say so. That definitely would alleviate the problem I had with the front mounting point. What about the back one. I was able to lift the bolt up, but it didnt seem like there was enough room to get it out enough to slide the a-arm out.

At any rate, I was unsuccessful in replacing the lower bushings and actually screwed up my alignment. I'm just going to have to bring it in somewhere to get the bushings replaced because I can't do the alignment myself and I don't have a trailer or anything to bring the car to a shop unless I drive it.

Thanks for you help though!