Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

How to set an adjustable torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 06:54 AM

How to set an adjustable torque arm

I just bought an adjustable BMR torque arm. How should I set it when I install it. I know I have to measure and establish the driveshaft angle off the centerline of the rear yoke, but what should I set the angle at??

Re'
Old 08-06-2006, 07:07 AM

Re: How to set an adjustable torque arm

i need to know also...

cory
Old 08-06-2006, 01:31 PM
Administrator

You want to measure the angle formed by the pinion shaft (as measured by placing the level on the flat of the TA mount) and the driveshaft (as measured by putting the level on the DS) to be negative 1* to 2*. That means the DS and the pinion shaft will form a \/ pointing down. Using terms such as + and - gets confusing on the internet, so the best way to explain it is to put the level on the DS. Record the angle the needle is indicating. Then move the level straight back to the bottom of the TA mount, and the needle should have moved 1* to 2* in a direction that would indicate the \/ is pointing down.

A "stockish" setup would favor -1* of difference, a higher HP setup would favor a -2* or even slightly greater difference. Whether you are running a bushing or a rod end at the front of the TA would also seem to influence this, as a bushing will compress and let the TA move upwards more than a rod end, where there will be no movement at all.

Angles greater than -2* may be a problem on the street, since this increases wear on the U-joints.

With a poly front bushing, I was running -3* and when I switched to a rod end front mount, Steve Spohn reset it to -1.8*. It helps to have an electronic level, since it takes all the guesswork out of it.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:06 PM

Thanks Fred