Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

hub/spindles problems? Anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 08:11 PM

hub/spindles problems? Anyone??

I recently bought a LS1 brake setup from a junkyard. They are from 98 Camaro that had 60k on them. Everything seems structurally fine but has plenty of rust from sitting in the muddy junkyard. I got everything together from the Upper and Lower A arm out to the rotors and calipers. I plan on wirebrushing and painting the knuckle/hub/spindle to make it look new.
My question is-I am concerned about the hub/spindle, it is a sealed assembly, but is there any chance of it breaking and coming loose while I'm driving? This is the part that has the wheel lug nut studs on it. I'm just worried because it is used and looks bad with all the rust. Has anyone ever had a problem with their hub/spindle unit? Should I be concerned? Also, is there a big difference with the LS1 brakes over the LT1?
Thanks for your help.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:16 PM

Re: hub/spindles problems? Anyone??

the hub can unbolt from the spindle and u can buy a new one if you're really that concerned

if u show us some pics we could tell u if its bad but junkyard rust usually isnt that bad

in my experiance i've never been able to any sort of damage with a wire brush to remove rust on anything
Old 10-29-2005, 09:53 PM

My concern is not damage from the wirebrush or cleaning or painting, but the hub itself and any possiblity of it comming loose internally. I'm certain that the 4 bolts that hold it to the knuckle are fine. I checked both of the hubs for loosness or wobble by spinning them manually and they seem fine and tight. I just thought I would throw out a thread as a precaution for possible common problems. Or possibly, positive reinforcement as to not hearing any problems under heavy use????? Just looking for piece of mind. It would just really suck if a front wheel were to come off at 100mph plus, or even worse in a turn.
Just an observation-It seems that the nature of the engineering of the 98-02 LS1 caliper and bracket would keep it on because the caliper bracket bolts directly to the knuckle, and the bracket holds the caliper, which in turn pinches the rotor. If the hub were to break I think the caliper bracket would hold the wheel on at least until you stopped. -Does this make sense?
This is just my obsessive mind over analysising this as a "worse case senerio".
Thanks,
Randy
Old 10-29-2005, 10:44 PM

I suggest taking the LT1 hubs from your stock setup and putting them in the LS1 spindles. They will fit. The hubs on my LS1 setup were shot, and I found this out while driving.

-Dustin-
Old 10-30-2005, 01:23 PM

I suggest you buy new ones if its not digging too deep into your budget.

I am going to buy new stuff when I do my brakes.... I hear way to many good comments on this mod that I am sold on it. but I dont wanna do the work twice... except for the Calipers.. I think I will buy remanufactured ones... they are usually good anyways.

Marvin
Old 10-30-2005, 07:07 PM

At gmpartsdirect they are $147 each!! Ouch!!! You won't find Gm parts cheaper than there. They sell to the dealers parts dept at that price, and the dealer usually almost doubles that. Part#7470587. That's why I want to reuse if they are not prone to failure.