Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Humming from rear while driving -- partial grinding noise when rear is raised.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:19 PM

Question Humming from rear while driving -- partial grinding noise when rear is raised.

1995 Camaro V6 3.4L

I've been trying to narrow down the cause of a humming/howling sound from the rear end of my car (sounds near the right rear wheel). I replaced the bearing/seal at the wheel end of the axle shaft and after putting everything back together it didn't help my problem.

When I had just the axle/hub pushed in there was no noise what so ever while spinning -- very smooth. This makes me think its not a bearing problem.

Keep in mind -- I'm an armature here. I then put the circular cover that covers up the rear breaking mechanisms (is this the drum?). When I turned the axle/wheel with that on it makes a slight grinding sound about 15% of the full 360 degree rotation. Is it possible that my rear break is not disengaging all the way and causing the humming/howling sound I hear? Being a breaking part I wouldn't think this part should be greased, but I don't know.

As speed increases, so does the hum, whether in gear or not.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-22-2008, 10:02 PM

no brakeing part should be greased if it contacts the drum or rotor. I have seen alot of cars that do that. could be the springs need to be replaced for the drum brakes. they are not pulling the shoes all the way back. Could be that you have a warped brake drum.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:11 PM

Well to get the drum back on, I did have to push the brakes inward...
Old 04-24-2008, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by kisk
Well to get the drum back on, I did have to push the brakes inward...

that could be the cause then. rubbing of the brake on the drum. if it does it enough it will warp the drum. ussually if you turn the star gear one way or the other. i forget exactly, it should allow the brakes to come all the way in allowing you to fit the drum over the brakes without any issues at all. In fact I generally have a good 1/4 to 1/2 inch of space until i re adjust them out.

So the hum very well could be that brake side. something not letting the brakes all the way back? Will the anti lock do that if it goes odd?
I do not know.. I have never dealt with anti-lock brakes. I think they are a pointless waste, and potentially dangerous if a person who relies on them gets behind the wheel of a car without them.