Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

I need some serious help with torque arm issues!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 04:38 PM

tapout911: Copied from the instructions from my UMI chassis mount TA

Place the angle finder on the driveshaft and record the angle. Now place the angle finder on the bottom plate of the torque arm where it attaches to the rear end, record this angle as well. To achieve true pinion angle you must add the two measurements together. For example if the driveshaft measures 0 degrees and the TA measure -1 degrees, you have a -1 degrees of pinion angle.

BMR sight
". Set pinion angle using the following method:
· Make sure the rear end is loaded by either setting the car on the ground or letting the car rest on jack stands positioned under the rear axle.
· Place angle finder on the driveshaft and record the angle. Now place the angle finder on the rear end torque arm mounting plate and record the angle.
· Subtracting one angle from the other results in your pinion angle.(Ex: -2 rear end angle subtracted from 0 driveshaft angle = -2 degrees)
· Turn adjuster to achieve the desired angle.
· As a starting point, most F-Bodies seem to like the following initial settings: Automatics: 1-2 degrees negative, Manuals: 2-3 degrees negative "

MADMAN:
"Okay guys here are the facts.

The object of pinion angle is to raise the pinion yoke under load, which in turn loads the chassis and plants the rear tires. The pinion is set in relation to the ground which is what we are racing on. The driveshaft is not a factor in this equation because for 1 the driveshaft doesnt plant the tires and 2 that is why we run ujoints. It doesnt matter where the motor is in height , whether it is higher or lower than the pinion. The pinion is going to rotate up due to the torque of the pinion trying to rotate over the ring gear, which in turn will lift the body and plant the tires. This is called antisquat!(considering the other misconception is that the car squats on launch) You arent trying to remove driveline mis alignment you are trying to get the car to "PLANT" the tires at the hit.

All I can say to the naysayers is measure it your way then run the car. Then try it my way and see which is faster!"

I see where you are coming from on this, there are too many theories on this subject

could someone who "knows" for sure 100 % chime in
and maybe the moderators could make a sticky in this forum

!
Old 07-02-2008, 11:46 PM

I understand what Madman is stating but he doesn't give a measurement he uses...

I set mine at -1 degree "V"
Old 07-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Administrator

I've watched Steve Spohn set the pinion angle a few times. He uses the same method described by BMR.