Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Idea for rear sway bay + anti roll bar...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 07:40 PM

Idea for rear sway bay + anti roll bar...

I want to use a stock mounting point rear sway bar for street driving, but weld in a anti-roll bar between the upper frame rails and weld just unhook one side for street driving. I have never seen someone do this, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Is there something I'm missing that may cause problems?
Old 12-02-2005, 04:38 PM

Re: Idea for rear sway bay + anti roll bar...

Sway bar and anti-roll bar are the same thing.

What are you talking about?

Z28
Old 12-02-2005, 06:00 PM

Acctualy a sway bar uses bushing to mount to the rear, while an anti-roll bar has tabs welded to the rear with solid liks going to the bar. There fore they aren't the same thing. Most people well the anti roll bar to the rear end, but the one I want to do welds between the inner frame rails and drops the links down to the rear end. I am looking to just use a stock swaybar for stablilty while street driving, but be able to use the anti-roll bar to have the car leave dead level at the track. I am don't see any problems with doing this, just seeing if other people can find something wrong with the idea.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:16 PM

What is the point? If you are willing to that much effort to have adjustable roll stiffness, why not just fab up an adjustable swaybar? Or just swap bars the night before race day?
Old 12-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Biggest problem would be a lot of extra weight. Since its not very hard to swap out a sway bar, doing what Bud suggested, and installing a bar like the Spohn race version rear sway bar for track use only would not be all that hard, once you got past the differences in the end link connections.

The Wolfe "sway bar" (that's what they call it, because it serves the same function) comes in a version for mounting between the F-Body frame rails, but it requires removal of the fuel tank and use of a fuel cell. It is also possible to mount the Wolfe style bars to the axle like any other sway bar.... this is a Wolfe mounted to the axle in a 4th Gen: