Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

installed bilsteins last night...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 10:05 AM

installed bilsteins last night...

I had to give up on the front shock install 3/4 of the way through cause I could NOT separate either ball joint with a pickle fork or anything else. I'm bringing them to a shop which said $45 for each side for the install.

On to the rears.. (these are bilstein HD's by the way)

Well, the rear install went so-so, the f**king top shock nuts are a bee-atch to take on/off, and guess what I did (or didn't do for that matter)? I forgot to install the blue rubber "cover" thing between the bushings so now on both rear shocks the blue rubber things sit all the way down on the shocks. I left it like that. screw that garbage. I'm NOT messing with the top shock nuts ever again. How bad is it that I left the rubber boot thing down? What is its function???

yeah, installing shocks sucks ***.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:58 AM

Re: installed bilsteins last night...

Originally Posted by 30thannZ28

I had to give up on the front shock install 3/4 of the way through cause I could NOT separate either ball joint with a pickle fork or anything else. I'm bringing them to a shop which said $45 for each side for the install.

On to the rears.. (these are bilstein HD's by the way)

Well, the rear install went so-so, the f**king top shock nuts are a bee-atch to take on/off, and guess what I did (or didn't do for that matter)? I forgot to install the blue rubber "cover" thing between the bushings so now on both rear shocks the blue rubber things sit all the way down on the shocks. I left it like that. screw that garbage. I'm NOT messing with the top shock nuts ever again. How bad is it that I left the rubber boot thing down? What is its function???

yeah, installing shocks sucks ***.
Sorry buddy, but somebody has to say it.

The rear shock nut are as easy as anything gets on these cars. If you had trouble with them and you plan to do the front shocks yourself, give up now and have a shop do it.

The boots are for dust and dirt protection, they keep the shock rod clean so the rod seals don't see so much dirt.

On konis the boots snap on to a metal collar that sits under both of the shock bushings. All you may have to do is look the top of the shocks over and push the dust covers up until they snap into place. Look for a metal cap with some kind of groves in it at the top of the shock. I don't have bilsteins so you will have to use your judgement.

If you don't see what you need to do, have the shop make things right.

Here is how I did my rear shocks.

1) Jack up the car.

2) Put car on jack stands.

3). Pull back serrated carpet flap, remove foam cover.

4) Use jack to slightly lift rear axle.

5) Remove upper shock nuts, use box end wrench on the shock nut and small adjustable wrench on the flat ground end of the shock rod.

6) Remove lower shock nut and washer.

7) Push shock forward at the bottom to disengage stud and lower the shock down and out of the body.

8) Raise axle with jack slightly more than it was.

9) Place boot, rubber spacers and steel washers per shock instructions.

10) Insert the shock rod into body hole from the bottom and loosely attach lower shock stud nut.

11). With both shocks installed, lift axle until shocks are up against the body.

12). Install upper shock nuts, use box end wrench on the shock nut and small adjustable wrench on the flat ground end of the shock rod. Tighten them per instructions.

13). Tighten lower shock studs.

14). you are done.

I did this with koni, so you may have some different style parts but many things should be the same.

The fronts are much harder.

Z28
Old 11-20-2004, 10:59 AM

I thought the rear shock install was relatively easy. If you struggled with that its just as well you didnt get anywhere on the fronts.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:30 AM

yeah, I installed all mods in my sig except the clutch, and yet I hate installing suspension stuff the most. heads/cam, no problem. opti, no biggie. shocks, hell no!
Old 11-21-2004, 02:00 AM

As for the fronts, did you try taking a hammer to the spindle to remove the upper ball joint? Usually comes off really easy using that method unless its been on for a very long time. No pickle fork or puller needed.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:38 AM

alright guys, due to my best friend making fun of me cause I installed all the mods in sig, but couldn't do the front shocks, I gave it another shot and succeeded. All I have to do is bring my front shock assemblies to the shop to have them separate the spring and all and re-install the bilsteins. (the top nut was waaaay too rusted for me to fight with it). what a job! front shocks suck, but more of a PITA than difficult. the worst PITA ever was dropping my fuel tank for the walbro pump...but that's another thread.