Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Installing K member and polybushings any advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 11:33 AM

Installing K member and polybushings any advice

I have a 1994 z28, I have the bmr k member, Qa1 coilovers, and all new energy suspension bushings for the up and lowers(stock arm). Any advice on the install that people have done. Then motor has been out of the car so no worries about that. Just some experience you all have had with the install of these. shocks should be no prob. but I am worried if I need a press to install the bushings. Also, anyone recomemd certain types of balljoints or just stock.

I really appriciate the help.

Thanks Mark Tisdale
Old 12-09-2004, 12:34 PM

Re: Installing K member and polybushings any advice

Stock Ball joints will work fine. If you need the bushings pressed, go to a local machine shop, they'll probably be able to do it the best and the fastest for the price. Aside from that the install should be fairly painless.

Chris
Old 12-09-2004, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by crash4cyl
Stock Ball joints will work fine. If you need the bushings pressed, go to a local machine shop, they'll probably be able to do it the best and the fastest for the price. Aside from that the install should be fairly painless.

Chris
I thought so about the bushings even tho the picture showed a hammer to install the bushings. I will order some stock ball joints too.

anyone else with some help?
Old 12-09-2004, 01:13 PM

I did a set of Prothane bushings on the front end of my car a while back. If you take the control arms to a machine shop, make sure that they do not damage the sleeves that you may need to re-use while pressing out the old ones. We burned out the old bushings with a torch, leaving the sleeves intact.

Check out this post for further details:

NBred94's Bushing Installapalooza

Last edited by NBred94; 12-09-2004 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by NBred94
I did a set of Prothane bushings on the front end of my car a while back. If you take the control arms to a machine shop, make sure that they do not damage the sleeves that you may need to re-use while pressing out the old ones. We burned out the old bushings with a torch, leaving the sleeves intact.

Check out this post for further details:

NBred94's Bushing Installapalooza

Thanks for the info man, after reading all that I am not going to install the poly for the upper and lowers, just for everything else.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:19 PM

I just going to install my new k member and install new Qa1s with new ball joints.

Anyone have a detailed list of installing k member etc. what are the torque settings etc.

THanks again Mark
Old 12-09-2004, 02:27 PM

One more?, I have never taken apart these arms before, are the balljoints pressed in or bolt in ones?

thanks
Old 12-09-2004, 02:27 PM

I'd use a good 1/2 Impact gun...It'll TQ it to specs you'd never think of getting. That way it defiantely won't come out on you. Make sure you get the brake lines off the old K-member and tie your calipers up somewhere so you don't need to re-bleed your brakes. Aside from that, the control arms have a spec of 110ft lbs I believe....Again with poly bushings just use the gun, and just make sure the weight of the car can move them with the suspension...Easy enough.

Chris
Old 12-09-2004, 04:49 PM

The one guy that was anti-poly bushing in the thread that I posted above had his points, but apparently there are other just as vocal and technically supportive people who say poly is no problem. I personally have not experienced any wierd handling since the install that would indicate binding in my suspension, but I'm not autocrossing the thing either, so who knows. If you are replacing with rubber, I would guess that the process would be about the same.

The other materials (delrin, etc.) that he described are harder to find, and much more expensive. Poly has worked out well for me.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by NBred94
The one guy that was anti-poly bushing in the thread that I posted above had his points, but apparently there are other just as vocal and technically supportive people who say poly is no problem. I personally have not experienced any wierd handling since the install that would indicate binding in my suspension, but I'm not autocrossing the thing either, so who knows. If you are replacing with rubber, I would guess that the process would be about the same.

The other materials (delrin, etc.) that he described are harder to find, and much more expensive. Poly has worked out well for me.
Yea I know where you are coming from, but I am going to get new uppers and lowers for my k member down the road so I am just going to install the others when I get those. I am just going to install new ball joints and install k member with qa1s.

Mark
Old 12-10-2004, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by AlmostfastLT1
I am going to get new uppers and lowers
That is probably the best way to go. I'll probably get to that eventually myself. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:43 AM

Moog makes quality ball joints and can be purchased from Summit Racing. You might want to replace your outer tie rod ends at the same time before you pay for an alignment.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by OBE1 95Z28
Moog makes quality ball joints and can be purchased from Summit Racing. You might want to replace your outer tie rod ends at the same time before you pay for an alignment.
Yea good call on that, I am going to check out the tie rod ends too.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:00 PM
Administrator

If you decide to install the ES poly bushings, its not that difficult. The old bushings can be easilly burned out with a propane torch. It is very messy, but not hard to do. Most of the ES poly bushings then just "push" in.... no press required. A C-clamp might help. The lower A-arm "vertical" bushing can be a little more difficult. The ES design is different that the stock design. It requires that you remove the metal "can" that is pressed into the stock A-arm. It will be rusted hard to the A-arm. I managed to pound mine out with a heavy hammer. Then the ES vertical bushing, in three pieces, can be a little difficult to press together.... again, I was able to do it with a beefy C-clamp.