Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

I've had it with my suspension!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 01:44 PM

Re: I've had it with my suspension!!!

Originally Posted by trackbird
In the bilstien catalog, it says they are not for use with lowering springs or lowered cars.
Searching the Bilstein catalog by either '94 or '98 Camaro Z28 I could only find them listed as the SLP model and SLP sells them with lowering springs from Eibach. It seems likely that the combination was intended to work together.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny I
That's funny, cause I just spoke with Spohn and they said Bilstein HD's are EXACTLY the shocks to use with the Pro Kit. Hmm...

-John
Old 07-05-2006, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by 383Z4ME
Searching the Bilstein catalog by either '94 or '98 Camaro Z28 I could only find them listed as the SLP model and SLP sells them with lowering springs from Eibach. It seems likely that the combination was intended to work together.
Also not right.. While Eibach makes the SLP springs, they are not in fact the *SAME* as the Eibach Pro-kits or Sportlines. For that matter those aren't even the same part numbers between LT1 and LS1 cars.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by 94CamaroZ28
Um. Sam Strano is somewhere in the top 5 in autocross in the F stock class, IIRC.
2 SCCA National Championships. 1 SCCA ProSolo series Championship. Setup, helped setup, or been a part of numerous other nationals winners. fwiw
Old 07-05-2006, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Also not right.. While Eibach makes the SLP springs, they are not in fact the *SAME* as the Eibach Pro-kits or Sportlines. For that matter those aren't even the same part numbers between LT1 and LS1 cars.
I know but they are a "lowering" spring, 1" according to the SLP catalog, which is what someone said the Bilstein catalog specifically warned against. There is a difference between working and optimum, I'll agree.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by 383Z4ME
Uh...ok.

Start here. Just read the top of the page, you don't even have to look for it. This is from Bilstien's website.

http://www.bilstein.com/302passengercars.pdf

IMPORTANT NOTE-SUSPENSION MODIFICATIONS FOR LOWERING VEHICLE RIDE HEIGHT.
If Bilstein shocks are used in conjunction with shorter aftermarket springs, the shocks selected should
be Sport type. HD or C type shocks are not suitable.
Now, with that said. SLP has their shocks revalved (well, the fronts are) to their specs and their lowering springs don't really lower the front of the car more than 1/4" (based on the last car I installed them on). The rear drops a bit more.... But, as I said, they won't explode.....it's just not ideal and it's still probably better than the decarbons, just not enough for the money in my opinion.

So, you guys can think what you want and as I said, it can work somewhat (and the world won't end), but in fact, the manufacturer recommends against it (I wasn't lying about that).
Old 07-05-2006, 08:14 PM

i'm sure if you called sam and asked him he'd set you up with something you'll end up loving. even if you want to keep the wheels you have now...tires too. he'll set you up with whay you need. he's got good prices and great customer service.