Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Just finished LS1 front brake swap!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 08:16 PM

Just finished LS1 front brake swap!

Well, I just finished fitting LS1 front brakes to my '94 Z28. It went well. Was fairly uneventful. As in, no surprises. I bought them from an Ebay seller. I disassembled all the parts and ground all the surface rust off and removed all the casting flashing then sprayed them with Iron colored engine paint(has ceramic in it and good to 500*).

I cleaned the calipers up(ground all the casting lines) and sprayed them with a gold engine paint. Nothing ricer looking, more like a Brembo color. I also sprayed clear on the calipers. I painted the caliper carriages with the same iron paint as the spindles. All in all it looks great and stops better than before(the stock brakes were DONE). The rotors had rust on them so I sanded them with 320 grit. I think once all the rust is worn off the rotors, it'll stop even better. I didn't even replace the pads. The ones that came with it have lots of pad left. I did run alot of fluid through them, mainly to clean out the old fluid from mmy system. I'd never done it to this car. How embarassing!

When I go to put new shocks and springs in, I'm going to upgrade the hoses to stainless.

I've had this car for years and have never done anything other than maintenance to the brakes and suspension. Pretty sad considering the motor is built and lays 360 HP to the wheels and the 6 spd is fitted with an alum. flywheel and spec stage 3 clutch. Finally the suspension and brakes are getting some attention.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:23 PM

Re: Just finished LS1 front brake swap!

congrats on the install. It is a pretty easy upgrade to do. Just get some braided lines on there and you should be set.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:27 PM

Def a good mod! Did you buy the Kit from Fparts. They are a good company and they even supplied the old pads and lines which was defintly a plus, but i went with the HAWK HPS pads anyway which does a awesome job!
Old 05-28-2005, 10:49 PM

"Fparts" sound right. I don't remember. I just left him feed back too.

Yes, my next (brakes)move is ss lines and Hawk pads. But first I need shocks and springs. This is the first time in three years I've turned a wrench on this thing other than one oil change. I've never done anything to the suspension or brakes other than pad changes, not even a fluid flush.

I want to try "Drifting" and was about to sell the car and buy a 240SX when I had the realization that with the proper suspension and brake mods(and weight loss), my car would drift just fine. Plus, I like the idea of domestics getting into drifting. The import crowd frowns on it, but what the hell. I don't care. I just want to do it slideways. Don't get the impression I'm a ricer punk kid. I'm 30, have a wife, kid, another due in a month, mortgage, SUV, and 2 project cars. For the Camaro, it's my daily driver. I built the motor years ago. The car runs solid high 12's as it sits in front of my house on bald drag radials and worn front tires(needs alignment). No suspension work ever! I'm not new to the forum here, I just got a new computer and new ISP, so my email has changed and I couldn't remember my password(I never changed it from the one you get when you join).