Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

just finished panhard install

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 04:39 PM

just finished panhard install

It was an adjustable rod end.. boy was that a fun job. Took a lot of muscle to get those old bolts out and then took even more to get the holes lined up so i could get the new panhard rod in. My question is this.. it says you have to put the car on the ground to tighten to specs... how the hell do you do that? im sitting under there with my torque wrench and adjustable wrench fiddling around doing yoga to try and find room.. its just to damn tight under the car. So i tightened as hard as i could with a socket wrench... at first my drivers side tire was i guess about 1/2" further out then the passenger and now i have it the other way around. I couldnt get those jam nuts loose for the life of me so i figured stock length will do and the 1/2" isnt hurting too much.

I havent gotten a chance to drive it yet as it is dinner (took me 1 1/2 hours to do) I will get back with a verdict later tonight.. but man that was kinda a pain in the ***, im not looking forward to the lower control arms, relocation brackets, and torque arm bushing i have yet to do.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:39 PM

Re: just finished panhard install

they tell you to adjust it with the car on the ground because when the rear axle moves closer or farther away from the body the panhard bar makes the axle move side to side, so basically you need the body putting its full weight on the rear axle

what you can do for room, is jack up the car from the rear end and please use jack stands to support the car from the rear end
that will get you close enough, and plenty of room to tighten fully

if this is not good enough for you, its good enough to drive to a shop for an alignment
Old 10-04-2006, 05:39 PM

well I was pretty impressed with the way it took corners..
Im going to try and borrow my friends lift to do my LCAs, relocation brackets, and torque arm bushing tho... i hate doing these things in my driveway.
I have a question tho, since i will be down there working already and i will be doing it on a lift I figure i will adjust to center it.. I noticed when putting the rod in i had to have a friend on one side push the body in and a friend on the other push the tires in so i could get the holes to line up and push the rod through... when i adjust it to center (right now the passenger is out a wee bit more) is there an easier way to get those bolt holes to line up?

edit* respectiroc... "what you can do for room, is jack up the car from the rear end and please use jack stands to support the car from the rear end" did you mean to say please there? ^ it kinda threw me off a little..

edit x2: I just measured i.. i eyeballed it with a tape measurer and i found the passenger side is out about 3/4" more then the driver.. so that means i should extend the bar.. I just gotta figure out how to get those jam nuts loose.. they just wouldnt budge..

Last edited by nodnarb481; 10-04-2006 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:32 PM

You might not think that 1/2 inch is hurting a lot.... it effects tire wear and alignment.

You'll find out. You might not have seen my thread about "PHB Adjustment Fixed Three Things"... But it did. I helped my tracking and pulling problem a lot, it also effects many aspects of driveability. For some reason it had an effect on my wheel vibration....
Old 10-05-2006, 09:27 AM

yea i know it effects tire wear.. my drivers side is way worse then the passengers and the drivers used to stick out further..im taking my car over my friends today to put in my MSD coil and im going to back my car to edge of the curb so i can have some room to work on it with the suspension loaded.. hopefully i can get the nuts loose and have time to adjust it today..
Old 10-05-2006, 03:16 PM

I think he meant, "Please! For safety's sake use jack stands and not just a floor jack or any other kind of jack!"
Old 10-05-2006, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy
I think he meant, "Please! For safety's sake use jack stands and not just a floor jack or any other kind of jack!"
thats exactly what i meant, dont kill yourself
Old 10-05-2006, 06:52 PM

agreed... now.. methods on getting those jam nuts loose? i just cant do it
Old 11-23-2006, 01:30 AM

will a unadjustable BMR or UMI pan do anything or should i just stay stock? im probably going to lower 1" in the future
Old 11-23-2006, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Gun5
will a unadjustable BMR or UMI pan do anything or should i just stay stock? im probably going to lower 1" in the future
You need adjustable to recenter the body over the axel. Lowering the car messes up the geometry that you can fix with an adjustable panhard bar. I wouldn't waste money on anything non-adjustable except maybe a stb.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:32 AM

Um... can we just drive it up on a couple of planks of wood to give a few inches?
Old 11-26-2006, 03:52 PM

yea but that would be too easy.