Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Just Installed Bilsteins...Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 03:19 PM

Talking Just Installed Bilsteins...Wow!

Okay, okay...not big news for everyone, but I just installed the Bilsteins front and back, and all I can say is "Wow!". Yeah, I had the original decarbs with 84K miles on the car, so replacing them with anything would have been an improvement. Anywhoo..the ride was a little rough out of the shop in the crappy streets of downtown San Jose, but once on the highway...amazing.

Drove them to work for the first time this morning on my usual route...you know....the route that you know exactly where the dips are in the roads. Usually, I would cringe around certain spots on the roads, but I was amazed the difference the Bilsteins made...no more "pogo sticking" on the road. It just ate up the bumps and dips.

So, for those that have them, you know what I mean, for those that have stock..go getcha some kind of aftermarket shocks...Bilsteins, Konis, HAL, whatever.

Funny thing is that I think...maybe imagining...my rear end looks lower than my front end now. Yeah, I know the height is determined by springs, not shocks, but it does look lower,which is strange since f-body weight distribution is front heavy. Anyone see this or is this part of the normal f-body "sag" I hear about?

Now if I can just scrounge the dough for some SFCs and front sway.....
Old 09-21-2004, 12:55 AM

Re: Just Installed Bilsteins...Wow!

I bought my Bilstein HD's off the net and replaced my 86k Decarbons, and it certainly made a difference. Corners that I used to be able to only take going 30 I can do going 45 no problem. The whole pogo-sticking thing I understand, its like....bump....then its over, not....bump....bounce.....bounce. They are a little stiffer but you know what, I kind of prefer the stiffer ride, you know where you can get feedback on the road conditions.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:14 AM

Yes, the Bilsteins made a big difference for me too. I noticed it more on roads with quick dips and peaks. Man, the car felt like it was so well controlled, like someone was pushing and pulling on the chassis to keep the car smooth. I love it. If you like the Bilsteins, wait until you try a 35mm front sway bar.... heaven...

Hey, I just noticed that we all have F1 GS D3's. Gotta love those too. They are awesome on my ZR1's.(275/40-17) My car rides so much better now than when it was new it's not even funny.

Dan

Last edited by stereomandan; 09-21-2004 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:57 PM

I have to say that I love my GS-D3's just as much! The tread pattern is pretty aggressive looking and they seem to be pretty sticky. I will be going to the track this Friday cuz there is a cold front coming through so its gonna be high 50's at night Hopefully I will be able to cut some good 60 footers.